IM Flash Technologies - It's sad | Glassdoor

"It's sad"

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I can't say what the pros are of working there anymore since I left long before the layoffs. One has only to look at the rating trend chart to see what's going on and where this JV is headed, though.

Cons

It truly saddens me to see the recent comments on what's happening there. We built a great place to work and when Todd Matthews, Rod Morgan, Dave Bagley and Jason Dunn were there, the Core Values were stressed in every single thing we did. That was when we could legitimately call it Leadership. I have to chuckle at the HR responses on here because they're not trustworthy; personable, friendly and great to hang around but not proactive with issues as witnessed by the comments here. Business Partners did nothing but tell your manager whatever you told them and not follow up to see if any action had been taken. Taking complaints or issues to them simply put you in hot water with your management. There is OBVIOUSLY a broken system for promotions, or lack of, that has been pointed out for over a decade yet remains unfixed because it's simply not a priority for management. The Photo group is a glaring example of a lack of true leadership: the "stepping stone" Section Manager position has changed hands multiple times without a Photo person being moved up into it. That clearly shows that the outgoing SM did not groom and prepare his own team to be next in line which is something that should have been reviewed and been a part of their ability to leave the position. Then, management committed the sin we said we'd never do: create layer upon layer upon layer of managers (again, not leaders...) and they had no choice but to move, what appeared to be, random people, whether qualified or not, into the open roles. As was typical, friends took care of friends and filled the new positions and created the animosity that we see in the comments here. There was a time when this was a phenomenal place to work, and I'm so glad to have been there at that time, but it's been on a steady decline over the past 5-6 years. It really is sad. It's clear, too, that no one had the foresight to prepare for the fallout of the layoffs since a month later, and ever since, you've been continuously looking for employees. Layoffs are always the writing on the wall and the remaining people will start looking for greener pastures.

Advice to Management

I don't know. If management isn't learning from the comments on this board and taking action then there's no point in wasting the space. The advice I can offer prospective employees is to know going into it that it is a job, not career, get what you can from it and move on. There's a lot to be learned if you take advantage of the opportunities but be out for you and take what you need from the positions you get. No one is going to look out for you and your career and help make things happen. Advice to HR, a major part of your review score, and management, should be turnover rate. It's simply ignored or, lacking true leadership, no one wants to address it. The funniest comment I got when I left was from the Business Partner, "We know there's a real bad turnover problem in that group but we don't know what to do about it." Listen. Listen to what the employees that are quitting are telling you and correct the issues (aka, do what HR is supposed to do).

Other Employee Reviews for IM Flash Technologies

"Only come here if you truly hate yourself"

Current Employee - Equipment Technician (7 Years) in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician (7 Years) in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid Time Off Accrual Program

Cons

Every time I pull into the parking lot at work before start of shift, I'm hopeful that some crazy, disgruntled employee will take me out as I walk through the doors to go into the building so I won't have to endure another minute of the painful BS rhetoric.

Advice to Management

Stop over complicating things. Improve safety and moral by getting rid of the alternating shifts. Get rid of the PRAF, hire leaders with the experience and ability to use their core values to know their people and make promotions. If you can't find those people internally (there's your sign), start making the changes necessary to get those people in place! Stop using threatening statements and scenarios, "there's no such thing as ""honest mistakes"", only mistakes."

IM Flash Technologies Response

Feb 28, 2017 – Marketing and Communications

You've expressed some alarming concerns about your work experience here. It also sounds like you're having serious problems with your leadership. If you haven't already, we encourage you to talk... More

"A Bunch of Micro Managers"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

When I started it was exciting to work on leading edge technology and most of the people seem to be nice who were not in management. As time passed I started to realize that it was a facade. That in reality it was a sweat shop of oppression.

Cons

Management micromanages their people as if they are incapable of managing their own life and time. This is laughable because most of the employees are college educated engineers that have not achieved the level they are at without being able to take responsibility. What is more laughable is that the constant review to make sure everyone is working on site at least 40 hours is leading to less productivity because people get very good at looking busy and wasting time. This cultural behavior is brought on by the work environment with the open seating without any cube walls and the fact that you had to scan both into and out of the site creating a log of your time on site. This is in contrast to companies like Intel were the management just gives a lot of work a lets people manage their own time to get the projects done and you never scan to get out of the buildings.
    Example: The management chain I was in required that you be on site by 8 am and not leave earlier than 5 pm. If you were late or if you needed to leave early, say for a doctor’s appointment, you had to tell your manager beforehand for their approval and it could not be for more than 2 hours. If it was say 4 hours it was not acceptable for you to flex your time to accommodate, say come in early and leave early or stay late. Instead you were required to use you vacation time for the absence. So let’s say you worked 10 hours on Monday and 10 on Tuesday, those extra 4 hours did not count toward the absence on Wednesday.
    Another Example: I ask once if it would be ok if I left once per week at 4:45 on Thursday to transport one of my kids to an activity. My manager told me that this was not acceptable because someone could schedule a meeting from 4 to 5. The rest of the time I worked at IM Flash no one ever scheduled a meeting from 4 to 5 on Thursday. There was no work life balance or accommodation.
    The result of this policy was counterproductive. People would work the minimum or just above the 40 hours on average to make sure they would not have other issues but they would not work the long hours like other places because there was no benefit.
    Final example: HR said the management could not pull anyone persons time log but they got around this by pulling everyone in a group. I know for a fact that a co-worker was put on a performance improvement plan because one week they only have 39.5 hours logged to the site. What was not taken into count was the time he was working remotely from home because this time is not tracked. In reality he had close to 50 hours in. As part of the PIP he had to show his manager his time log for the next 3 months proving he was on site 40+ hours. This person quit the next year and found a better and higher paying job.
    These are only a few examples of life at IM Flash. Most people live and work in fear at IM Flash and because of this there are quick to throw people under the bus. Managers will take credit for work the people under them have done. If you question management of make any waves you will be drummed out. Do one of two things with IM Flash: save yourself the stress and choose another place to work, or work and plan your exit within 5 years to go to a place the values your experience and will not lord over you. Also bring head phones, it gets very noisy from all the people talking in the big open office.

Advice to Management

I have nothing nice to say to the management. la la la la la la la la la la la

IM Flash Technologies Response

Feb 28, 2017 – Marketing and Communications

We're sorry to hear that you felt this way about your time at IM Flash. We have forwarded your comments to HR and to Fab leadership for consideration.