INC Research - Loved the idea of it but got a bad manager. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for INC Research

"Loved the idea of it but got a bad manager."

I have been working at INC Research (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for growth. Innovative in project team meeting plans.

Cons

I got a bad project manager that lacks education and experience. Stuck doing ancillary tasks now.

Advice to Management

Managers should be reviewed by their reports for 360 review. No way for upper management to know if there is a bad apple.

Other Employee Reviews for INC Research

1. "Poor mgt. / antiquated equipment/ nepotism"

Former Contractor - Safety Specialist
    Former Contractor - Safety Specialist

I worked at INC Research as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding introduction to Safety and Pharmacovigilance. Terrible introduction to CRO culture.

Cons

No chance for advancement unless you are liked (subjectively) or are a friend, or related to a manager. Equipment in the Cincinnati office was woefully outdated and inadequate. Too many managers. I received instructions and demands from no less than five different people (not counting sponsor). Often one manager directive would contradict that of another manager's directives. As a result, there was much confusion in our group and the quality of work suffered as a result. Many promises that were never kept. Threats from managers were constant and often. I liked the work but disliked the environment.

Advice to Management

No need for five mangers on the same project. Many threats, no real support. I recommend frequent courses in team building and management skills.

"Recent negative shift in direction"

I worked at INC Research full-time

Pros

-The people are great to work with. In my department, there is more of a "small company feel" even though we are in a global organization

-The benefits are pretty good

-Since turnover is very high, responsibility growth outpaces pay growth (this is also one of the reasons turnover is high), which can be good for gaining valuable experience and knowledge

Cons

-My department used to promote from within when deserved, however over the past year only 1 person has been promoted. In the meantime, we have hired in people at higher levels, some of whom have already left for greener pastures.

-Very small annual raises and pay is not competitive with other CROs. This is a good place to begin a career, but other CROs will pay thousands more per year to do the same job.

-There is very high turnover right now. 10-12 of my colleagues have voluntarily left in the last month alone. Workloads are very high and keep increasing.

-We just experienced a large layoff. 4 of our most knowledgable staff were laid off. After the layoffs, our executive director had a call with our department to let us know that those 4 people were "hand-picked" because they opposed "process improvements". The vast majority of the remaining staff also oppose these process improvements, but executive management does not seem to care.

-Technology lags severely behind other CROs, which hampers efficiency and overwhelms employees with 5-10 different programs/places to track information.

-Resourcing issues, unmotivated employees, lack of efficient tracking systems, and a recent emphasis on only speed (not quality) has caused a big drop in quality of work.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees monetarily, invest in their skills with up-to-date systems and listen to their opinions. Oftentimes your most valuable resource is the resource closest to the situation.