ION Media Networks - My experience working with ION Media Networks has been a long uphill battle. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ION Media Networks

"My experience working with ION Media Networks has been a long uphill battle."

Pros

Vacation time accrued- New hires get two weeks after their probation period.
Company offers a 401K
Benefits package is comparable to other companies.
Tuition reimbursement is offered.
The company recognizes domestic partnerships and offers benefits to partners
The company is continuously growing

Cons

No annual raises
The Company tends to hire from outside sources rather than promoting within
Overall employee moral is down
Upper Management tends to lead by fear

Other Employee Reviews for ION Media Networks

"Shift focus to the talent pool"

Pros

Senior management has desire to innovate, keep the company efficient and utilize creative solutions to problems. Health/Medical benefits are quite acceptable. Growing recognition of ION Television with the public.

Cons

Lack of company-wide standards and a clearly communicated management philosophy. Trust and communication is weak between some departments. Sometimes feels like a company where employees are discouraged from offering opinions and suggestions.

Advice to Management

Focus on building a smarter, engaged and empowered workforce. Develop a company culture that communicates the company's goals and values clearly. Keep the workforce informed about and engaged with company projects to avoid gossip and create a sense of trust.

"I Must Have Been Genghis Khan in a Past Life"

Pros

Well, they hired me when I needed a job. The studio is relatively close to my home.

I must have been Genghis Khan in a past life. That's the only reason I can imagine being sentenced to this circle of purgatory, rather than working at a real station. So I guess they are helping me work off some of that negative Karma.

Beyond that there are no compelling pros to work for this company.

Cons

The pay is abysmal. No one seems to be paid what they should. We are not making comparable pay with others in the industry or the market we serve. Some people have been here 12 years with only 3 cost of living increases! Really?

There is no room for growth. No room to be promoted. You have to wait for someone else to quit in order to move up, then you have to hope senior management doesn't eliminate the position.

Senior Management doesn't listen to employees. Any idea sent up the ladder goes nowhere. When I was a kid I sent Brigitte Bardot a fan letter. She sent me a "Thank You" note back. I send an idea to corporate, I get silence back.

The programming department is in over its head. They have no real experience programming a television station, much less a network. Viewers constantly complain, but corporate doesn't listen. We run shows into the ground. Viewers are tired of it. Staff is tired of it.

Local management has little power. They don't even write the employee reviews. Got an idea? They want to help, but can't. All they can do is send it up the ladder and wait for the inevitable silence. Local stations can't make independent decisions. Need something for the station? They have to ask corporate. Need soap? Good luck! We are allotted one bottle every blue moon. I have been bringing soap from home. Are you kidding?

No one in senior management has ever produced a single project in television or film. No. Not a movie, show, commercial or even a script. Most have never actually done the real grunt work, so they have no idea of what it takes to make content. Not a problem when you're willing to actually pay others to do it, which management is unwilling to do. They have staff that knows how to produce televison. Too bad senior management never listens to them.

The hours are ridiculous. This is the first station I have ever worked at where my hours are so few and tightly regulated. One time I worked over 30 minutes longer than my schedule. Someone decided that what would have been necessary at any station in the world, was not necessary here. So my 30 minutes over was "revoked." This wasn't even overtime pay. Just regular pay. Need extra hours? You have to hope someone takes a day off and hope they ask you to work the extra hours. There are plenty of hours, senior management just won't staff them.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay. We know you guys have been getting pay rises, but most of us haven't been getting any. The cost of living goes up each year. Please bring our pay up to the level of our markets.

Staff the hours that aren't currently being staffed.

Let Local stations control some programming hours and maybe do some local programming. Viewers keep asking for it. Employees keep asking for it.

Hire from within. A lot of positions are being filled from outside the company when there are people in the company that can perform the tasks at hand.

Let local management have control to buy things like soap, office supplies, etc. Most businesses actually allow their local outlets to have a petty cash.

Listen to employees when they have ideas. Even if the ideas suck, at least tell them what it will take to get the ideas off the ground.

Stop running shows in the ground. We have shows that run 7 seasons that we go through in a month. Viewers complain, we complain. Programming could use more help. Help from within the company.

Hire more people with real world experience. People who have produced actual television/films. Not just figureheads.

Pay us well and leave us alone . This simple strategy will benefit the company in a big way.