IRS - Federal Govt | Glassdoor

"Federal Govt"

Current Employee - Education Training Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Education Training Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are excellent including pension, leave, and health care.

Cons

Most hires at this level come from current staff.

Other Employee Reviews for IRS

"Just a job with lack of career progression for someone over qualified with good performance evaluations"

Current Employee - Tax Examiner in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Tax Examiner in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay considering the opportunities that are not available in the private sector with the current state of the economy. Good benefits. If your in with the right clique, opportunities are limitless.

Cons

Lack of career development. After completing a BS and MS in accounting, I was still unable to get a better job (Revenue Agent). Currently working on a MS in Taxation, hopefully this helps. This organization is very keen on years worked and the use of performance evaluations in selecting individuals for jobs. If you challenge your evaluation, this will lead to a hostile working environment (be careful on challenging evaluations). Nepotism and cliques gain advancement opportunities as opposed to the best qualified job applicant. Motivation killer. Advice for future employees, fake it to you make it. I also would like to point out something fishy. If you look on USAJOBS, you will begin to notice that there are more jobs available for those in position of GS-9 to GS-15 while the position below GS-9 are not as many when compared. Hmmmmmm. We are in a current hiring freeze but yet the position available for GS-9 and up, exceed the number of positions for employees GS-7 and below. For the 2013 year, are bonuses are being cut. Two years ago, they eliminated are tuition reimbursement. In my opinion, I think the GS steps are next on the chopping block to reducing the so called imaginary federal budget that exist but yet the IRS collects the most revenue in the federal government. Many people within the job have a nasty attitute, who could blame them after the cons of the job.

Advice to Management

My chances are better at hitting the powerball jackpot then giving advice to management that may listen, so why waste my time.

"I guess you just have to see for yourself....more than taxes"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at IRS as an intern

Pros

Upward mobility is fast if you make the right friends
    Many different offices to give you varied experience
    Lots of locations to choose from

Cons

Career Opportunities are limited for innovative individuals
    Must play the game to move forward
    Promotions not communicated to anyone allowing for secrecy
    Career development not encouraged