ITT Technical Institute - It is a job | Glassdoor

"It is a job"

Pros

It's a job with benefits

Cons

you have no control over your success

Other Employee Reviews for ITT Technical Institute

"If you enjoy a personal life that starts before midnight, forget about it ..."

Former Employee - Educational Recruiter
    Former Employee - Educational Recruiter

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We always had a lot of fun together, I met some amazing co-workers, and it really benefited me for my future careers as far as interviewing prospects, scheduling, and cold calling.It taught me good leadership skills and how to talk with several different demographic prospective students. I was a great experience until, all of a sudden something will happen and then you get the cons *2

Cons

I hated the hours more than anything i think. I would also have to say the little groups that tend to merge together and cause trouble for the other departments. It isnt very stable and you never know whether you still have a job or you dont. Not everyone is genuine or trustworthy.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees from the git go, don't sugar coat things and give peoples' hopes up. Walking in to work and then three hours later getting laid off, and knowing that it was going to happen days ago. Not Cool!

"Working for ITT Technical Institute is not only frustrating, it is dis-empowering."

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The campus employees are fantastic. They are some of the best co-workers I've ever had the pleasure to know. They are honest, ethical and caring individuals who do their best to deliver on the mission statement.

Cons

*The "help" provided by HQ is almost non-existent. When we ask for help, we're told to contact other campuses and talk to their employees.
    *The standard lines are "All the campuses get the same leads," or "It's like that at all the campuses," and so on, when we explain why we're unable to meet the impossible goals that are set for us.
    *We are expected to work on virtually every holiday except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, even though the company has designated the days as holidays.
    *The Performance Management System used by HQ works only for the upper management, since they're the only ones who get to do the planning or receive rewards.

Advice to Management

*All campuses and geographical areas are not the same. What works in one school may not work in another.
    *Use more than numbers to judge the performance of your employees. You've removed the 'human' from 'human resources'.
    *Stop determining staffing levels based upon the needs of a start-up campus. Long-standing campuses have alumni to consider, especially in the Career Services area.
    *If you really care about "outcomes", i.e., graduate and pre-graduate employment, stop downsizing the Career Services area. You should be adding staff.
    *Prove that education is more important than profits and stop forcing on-ground students to take online classes. That is not the kind of efficiency that improves the educational experience, and saying that employers want employees who have experience with online learning is just an excuse to save money on adjunct and full-time instructor salaries.
    *Either reward the HQ and campus staff members the way the CEO and upper management are rewarded (with millions of dollars in bonuses for 70+% declines in stock price), or reward the CEO and upper management the way the HQ and campus staff members are rewarded (with 0-2.75% cost of living adjustment).
    *Include campus staff in the planning and goal setting process. They know what conditions are like in their areas. HQ doesn't.
    *Work more closely with campuses and faculty on curriculum rather than virtually handing it over to Pearson Publishing.