ITT Technical Institute - Entry-Level "build resume" type of job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ITT Technical Institute

"Entry-Level "build resume" type of job"

Current Employee - Educational Recruiter in Oak Brook, IL
Current Employee - Educational Recruiter in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Food at least once a quarter when students have open-house (and sometimes more - lunch on management), regular paycheck, okay benefits

Cons

Unprofessional atmosphere, Horrible Management, All about meeting numbers! numebrs! numers!, force you to lie to potential students just to get them to sign up, over worked and underpaid, office morale LOW, make friday and saturdays mandatory at least 12 weeks out the year (before the start of the quarter, the week of and week after), NO WORK LIFE BALANCE, only national accreditation, employees must "kiss butt" to stay on managers good side or will purposely make it harder for you to meet numbers (i.e. giving you old/bad leads) etc...

Advice to Management

Providing education should be the main focus - not about SALES. Need to treat your employess well and EQUAL and bring up the office morale.

Other Employee Reviews for ITT Technical Institute

"Horrible company with NO chance for professional growth!"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time

Pros

ITT Tech is not like other proprietary educational institutes in that we do not offer “refunds” just for going to school. ITT Tech only takes out enough loan/grant money to cover school. Some schools actually take out more loan money at the behest of the student so that the student can skip working and live off of going to school, without any desire to graduate – just taking out loans to cheat the system and be lazy.

Cons

First off, expect to be micromanaged. Corporate comes out with new policies all the time. You are given inflated metrics that you need to achieve or be written up each week. Blanket policies for each campus at each location does not work -- different locales call for different policies.
    Being an admissions rep is TOTALLY A TELEMARKETING GIG. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. You sit in a cubicle, calling off of a cold list that is YEARS old – with the majority of those numbers disconnected or wrong.

ITT Tech has NO ADMISSION TEST. We have enrolled people WHO COULD NOT READ. Since the drop-out rate of our students that we individually enroll affects our performance review rating when raise time comes, this is disastrous. Many of the students that we enroll are from low-income families, as we are in a crime-ridden area – so it is common to have students go to jail. It’s just another way to keep recruiters from getting a raise that they deserve.

Leads are laughable. We get leads from people who are just looking for a job and could not advance through the application process without filling out a form with his/her information. The advertising and lead system is very unethical. These folks can expect to receive 3 calls per day, 6 days per week until they explicitly ask to be taken off of the list. Reps were told that we needed to call them during times when the prospective student was sure to be home – i.e., during dinner time, around 9 PM, or at 9 AM on a Saturday morning (hope you weren’t wanting to sleep in...).

Ultimately, it's all about metrics and numbers with corporate. They do not take into account how many leads are actually viable -- it's all about quantity over quality. HQ states that having a 10% “lead-to-sit” ratio is good. Many of the leads on the cold list have repeatedly told us that they were on the Federal “Do Not Call” list, and have even asked us to be put on ITT’s Do Not Call List, which makes me and the company I work for look like idiots.

Expect to work a different schedule every quarter if you are a rep, and AT LEAST every other Saturday (9am – 2pm) being mandatory, as well as evenings (at least 2 evenings per week, 12pm-9pm). I've even heard of reps working on SUNDAY! Also, reps can expect to receive notice of a “phone-a-thon” on Saturday morning on WEDNESDAY. Meaning, if you had Saturday morning plans, you can just kiss those plans goodbye, as phone-a-thons are mandatory – even if you don’t have enough leads to call. If you have only 5 leads, you call those 5 leads once per hour till they are reached. Phone-a-thons are often promoted as “contests” with other campuses in the district, however, I have yet to see any results of said contests, or any trophies/rewards.

Ethics here are negligible. They have an “anonymous ethics line” that they staff 24hrs a day. Have you ever worked at a place that had so many complaints that they have to set up a 24hr ethics line??

Advice to Management

It's all about the bottom line with ITT - how much $$ the stockholders and those high up in their corporate ivory tower will clear each year. ITT is more than happy to drown students in debt than to lower its tuition to a more reasonable amount -- which the taxpayers end up paying for. Students here are nothing more than cattle -- bring them in, stamp them with the ITT Tech brand, sign them up for loans they cannot afford, and shove them out the door. Is it any wonder that ITT Tech’s stocks have gone from $100+ a share to $17 a share within just a couple of years? I might also add, how interesting is it that recently Kevin Modany is selling off his stock like a street hawker selling a bunch of stolen goods? Kind of like rats jumping from a sinking ship, no?

Employees are a disposable resource, like a lemon, to be squeezed dry and tossed aside. If an employee's safety is compromised (say, by having a school in an unsafe location), corporate does not care about hiring extra safety or installing extra lights. They would rather take the risk and play the odds that no one will actually get attacked -- including their own students! -- than pay for more safety measures. Management has a “what have you done for me lately” mentality – one week you are on top of the world, but on the next week, you’re not fit to eat cat poop. Management specifically looks for people who won’t have a life outside of ITT – who won’t care about the random switchup of hours or the unavailability of vacation time.
    LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES! The majority of reviews on this site (and from others I’ve spoken with) are negative. Why aren’t you listening? If you treated your employees better and lowered your tuition to just $30k, you’d be in a much better position! Happy employees, plus a college that people may actually be able to afford. But we all know that they won’t listen...

"No one listens"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say; Online Division in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say; Online Division in Carmel, IN

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My boss is great--best manager ever

Cons

Generally, employees talk about leaving as "getting out" as if you are in prison; this very negative attitude occurs with most every long-term employee and is likely based on the lack of "listening" from upper management. Please see suggestions.

Advice to Management

Please spend money on feedback mechanisms for staff and faculty to actually implement/credit employees for their suggestions. Implement funds for minor programs toward employee satisfaction (on-site gym or cafe, couches or carpet in the break room, HEAT in the building)--no cop-outs for the single meal per year, opportunities for more to work from home. If money is invested in staff, overall training costs for employee turnover will decrease to a balancing point. Employees feel trapped in positions--there is little internal hiring for promotions. They are ill-rewarded for their hard work/salaried overtime, with more expected of less staff all of the time. There is no advance preparation to increase staffing when the company desires more students, they simply hire more admissions representatives without worrying about increasing the capability to maintain the status of current students. Please take these suggestions to heart, as I have thought them through thoroughly and would like to improve this workplace.