ITT Technical Institute - ITT Technical Institute | Glassdoor

"ITT Technical Institute"

Current Employee - Systems Support Technician in Dayton, OH
Current Employee - Systems Support Technician in Dayton, OH

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was one of the best and worst experiences of my life. I had the opportunity to be a student and an employee.

Cons

I had the opportunity to be a student and an employee. There was no line between the two at times.

Advice to Management

Pay less attention to the bottom line and more attention to student satisfaction.

Other Employee Reviews for ITT Technical Institute

1. "Interesting mix of people"

Current Employee - - - - in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - - - - in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Surprisingly, ITT is actually committed to helping people get a real education; however, it's not right school for everyone. (students have to show up and do the work!) There are a lot of negative reviews here, primarily from the reps. At most ITT schools, reps come and go - they are the sales side of the business. If they don't make their numbers or if say the wrong thing to a shopper, they are let go. They are under a microscope. Then again, their job is simply to make calls, hope people show up for their appointments, and eventually enroll. The academic side is so different. These positions require faculty members to have a certain level of education (usually a Masters) and the work they assign the students is not easy.

Cons

From what I said above about the reps - it's a tough and stressful job, and most don't last.

Some of the directors have no experience in management (at least at my campus) and it shows.

Also, sales people having to deal with true academic types can be difficult. You can definitely see the separation between the two groups.

Advice to Management

Each campus is a different story. It really depends on how the Campus Director, the other Directors (finance, career services, recruitment, registrar) and the Dean work together. There are a lot of chiefs and sometimes, not a lot of experience. My advice to management - take some courses in management or at least read Covey!

I have met Mr. Modany and I will say that I appreciate his efforts, his commitment and his focus on the future.

"Much depends on the quality of the Campus Director"

Current Employee - Director of Recruitment
    Current Employee - Director of Recruitment

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had the good fortune to work with a smart and committed campus director. Truly committed to student success. Great opportunity to try new things, explore training opportunities for staff and grow yourself and staff professionally. Pay in the 60's for Directors of Recruitment and the mid 30's to upper 40's for recruiters.

Cons

Everything including hiring and firing eminates from HQ, often very aggressive enrollment goals based on volume of often low quality internet aggregator purchased leads - many (maybe even most) of which were actually desperate job seekers not degree seekers. Tuition was close to 5X greater than comparable community colleges (in 2012) and ITT's national accreditation means ITT Tech courses are pretty much only transferrable to another ITT Tech.

Advice to Management

Focus on program quality, Lower your tuition. Quit protecting the 36% profit margins on students and act like the stewards of taxpayer dollars you are before student default rates get so high the Fed pulls your Title 4 funding and the gig is up! Many dedicated and strong people lost to ITT because enrollment goals can be unrealistic based on the economic and personal realities for many in the populations ITT targets.