ITT Technical Institute - Difficult job duties required | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ITT Technical Institute

"Difficult job duties required"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and students for the most part were great.

Cons

Required to do almost the impossible in trying to get students to return.

Advice to Management

Focus on treating current students like they matter and they will be less likely to want to drop out. Keep close tabs on how your directors treat those below them.

Other Employee Reviews for ITT Technical Institute

"A serious culture problem"

Former Employee - Developer in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Developer in Carmel, IN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job. If you are just starting out, you can get some experience.

Cons

No process or discernible methodology for software development. Code to fix. Their environments were a mess and getting something deployed to production was sometimes impossible. The company talks about their culture and how great it is, but it really is just talk. Turnover rate was high.

Advice to Management

The managers directly above me and over my department were great people and tried to treat their people well. Their hands were tied by the managers above them and any positive change they could make was really limited.

"A sad change over the years"

Former Employee - Electronics Instructor in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Electronics Instructor in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of employment opportunities and many good, decent people who try hard to provide the students with an education..

Cons

The employment opportunities are largely due to so many people leaving the company. I worked at ITT for almost 18 years and have seen the corporate strategy go from cooperation and concerns for employees and students to nothing more than a numbers game. The curriculum, employee rewards and incentives, and student qualification process have gone completely down the tubes while educational costs to the students just go up and up. As an instructor with an impeccable record, I was offered a position in Myrtle Beach SC and moved from Albuquerque NM. ITT did not provide me any assistance financially for this very costly shift from one side of the country to another which eventually totaled almost $20,000. Once my expertise and instructional excellence were observed by the Dean and Director, I was promoted to program chair of the electronics dept. and was the only full-time electronics instructor. The organizational/software/access requirements necessary to properly do my job as a program chair were never implemented even though I raised my concerns to management and HQ dozens of times. Rather than looking at the fantastic improvements I accomplished during my time at the Myrtle Beach campus including a complete turnaround in student satisfaction and success, HQ and management were entirely consumed with IRIS entries, reentry calls, and other various "numbers" and were completely clueless about the equipment, software, and curriculum needs to properly run an electronics department. I was a model employee, accumulating numerous awards, including Instructor of the Year, Employee of the Year, Instructor of the Quarter, Employee of the Month, etc., and at one time was very happy working for ITT. At the end, with company pension plans, TPAP incentives, and recognition awards all being taken away; with employee/instructor workloads continually being increased; and with statistical expectations regarding student success, satisfaction, and attendance all reaching unachievable proportions, the positives of being an ITT instructor and employee became almost non-existent and consequently morale became fearfully low. The concern was totally about profitability at any cost. I feel bad for the students who pay a lot of money to go to school at ITT and are stuck with an adjunct instructor with no teaching ability or experience in how a course should be taught. I leave ITT with a hope that if I proposed a fee to an ITT school for appearing as a subject matter expert related to specific areas of the electronics curriculum that they would accept my offer. At least for that one night I would be proud and satisfied to know that the students got what they paid for; an instructor that knew how to teach and how to set up a lab session that actually worked. Good luck with your adjuncts ITT. Teaching is a profession too.

Advice to Management

Make the curriculum viable by concentrating on quality of education instead of looking solely at profitability. Changing the curriculum which results in making instructors try to accomplish teaching too much in too little time may bring profits up, but actually results in students who don't really know enough to get hired. Hire real teachers as full-time employees who understand the needs of the students, and provide incentives and rewards for excellence in the classroom, not take them away. This review does not include any:
    - Rants, venting, or obscenities
    - Personal insults or defamatory attacks (by name, title, or association)
    - Aggressive or discriminatory language

Everything I have stated is the truth, like it or not. I was not given an exit interview when I left the company which I found offensive. What better person to provide valuable insight and improvements than an instructor who had been with the company for over 18 years?