IUPUI - Excellent environment, great retirement benefits, wonderful people! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for IUPUI

"Excellent environment, great retirement benefits, wonderful people!"

Current Employee - Community Director in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Community Director in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at IUPUI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was a staff employee and pay wasn't great, but the benefits were excellent. Time off is generous plus IUPUI contributes 10% of one's salary to a retirement account each year (no match required; 3 year vesting period.) Overall, I liked the atmosphere and the people.

Cons

Within my school, there was a lack of communication. Although I liked working independently, many times I wanted there to be more of a team effort. I put in long hours -- sometimes up to 60 a week -- to get all of my work finished. As is common these days, there is more to do with less resources.

Advice to Management

Communicate more internally with staff and faculty and work to build better relationships between the two groups. Also, acknowledge the hard work of staff, even if it is just saying thank you.

Other Employee Reviews for IUPUI

1. "Pleasant"

Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at IUPUI part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As an Undergraduate Research Assistant I was allowed to select my hours. Dr. Watson was pleasant to work and talk with. It was not a very demanding job and most of my general work was spent cleaning and sterilizing lab equipment. After a few months of doing that and observing the graduate students, Dr. Watson said I may be asked to begin helping them with their experiments.

Cons

The commute took valuable study time away from me. The reason for this being that I would often work after I had finished my classes for the day. The traffic in Indianapolis usually would get very heavy by the the time I finished work and I had a heavy study schedule.

Advice to Management

I have no advice because they performed their roles well. It was my own schedule and time conflicts that resulted in me having to leave the position.

2. "Lots of freedom - creativity was encouraged."

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at IUPUI part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had a very positive experience - mostly because my students were interested in succeeding and applied themselves.

Cons

Pay scale is difficult to live on.

Advice to Management

My course director was so encouraging and provided many opportunities to use creativity in the classroom. I was given tremendous freedom while at the same time given unending support. Management was a strength in this position.