IXL Learning - Great place to work | Glassdoor
Pros
Cons

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Math Curriculum Designer in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Math Curriculum Designer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is collaborative and creative. There are always a variety of tasks to work on so you never get bored by doing the same thing all day every day. Everyone at IXL is committed and hardworking and fun to work with. I work remotely and still really feel like I'm part of a team.

Cons

If you take a remote position, it is more difficult to know your colleagues as much as if you're in the office. But the IXL team does a good job bridging this gap with technology anyway.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Great so far, very supportive employees"

Current Employee - Curriculum Designer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Curriculum Designer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My team and everyone that I've met so far while working here has been very helpful and friendly. The work environment is very collaborative, so it is crucial that everyone be able to work together in a professional manner. The work environment is comfortable, and the perks are nice as well. I have not had to take work home with me at all, so I have my evenings and weekends for what I need or want to do.

Cons

Because the company is growing very rapidly, there are some policies or standard operating procedures which are in flux and being changed, so to some degree this has been a little jarring. However, there is real effort being put into making these changes quickly, easily, and for the benefit of everyone affected by them.

"Some excellent people work at IXL, but management culture needs a pretty serious overhaul"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good benefits
    -Lots of friendly, sociable people in the office

Cons

-Upper management is extremely distant
    -Pay doesn't scale properly with the cost of living in the Bay Area (I'm currently living paycheck to paycheck, and I've been at IXL for years now)
    -The structure of the company squashes out any chance that a low-level employee can have to make a genuine impact. All of the directives come from on high and then trickle down.

Advice to Management

1) Spread the wealth around a bit. The discrepancy in salary between an entry-level engineer and, say, an experienced non-engineer with multiple advanced degrees is just downright upsetting. It sends a pretty strong message to non-engineers about their value (or, rather, lack thereof) to the company, and it definitely affects morale in a negative way.

2) Along these same lines, stop giving directives to the company as though all of the bottom-tier employees are one monolithic entity. Sure, some of us are 23 and fresh out of college. But others have advanced degrees, have years of teaching and project management experience, and have worked in multiple tech jobs. A lot of us are comfortable (and even thrive more as employees) with less oversight.

3) When upper management vacancies appear, promote internally rather than bringing in hotshots from elsewhere. It would send a message to lower-level employees that they can actually advance within the structure at IXL. This would improve both morale and retention.

Discover more reviews about IXL Learning.