Icebreaker - Beware of clique at NYC stores | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Icebreaker

"Beware of clique at NYC stores"

Pros

There used to be but now that I'm more familiar with the workings of the company, none.

Cons

Applied for a job at the NYC touch labs, where after two successful interviews was told by management that praised my experience and skills, that 'I was great, but did not fit in the "family,"'whatever that means.
Manager indicated that personality was much more important than skills and knowledge.
Asked inappropriate questions during interview process.

Advice to Management

Management needs to decide whether they wish to run a business or a social clique in their efforts to grow a successful company.

Other Employee Reviews for Icebreaker

1. "Fun work culture and strong sales skills"

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Icebreaker part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn strong sales skills
    Decent pay
    Fantastic work culture (Aus/NZ)

Cons

Not a lot to point out here
    perhaps if you're interested in career progression, retail isnt the best way to go

"A Victim of its own self-absorption"

I worked at Icebreaker part-time

Pros

Good clothes for a good discount
    Good product (which is also a detriment, as you'll see below).

Cons

Way too much emphasis on Individual sales' statistics and not enough of the heart and passion that founded and built the company. They also don't listen to what I believed were very valid employee concerns from others and myself and has this unwarranted 'God-Complex' about its product.

Icebreaker treat staff not as humans but as sales assets. I understand that the goal of a business is to make money, but the amount of abuse and disrespect certain staff were receiving in my store was just unnecessary and cruel. Likewise, they blame their lack of profits on lack of staff competency, which really degrades individual and team morale. However, where I worked everybody was competent, but management would still always blame staff for any low-profit day.

Instead, the major reason for relatively low-profits is that Icebreaker doesn't realise that it needs to advertise and appeal to the general public much more than it currently does. As I said, it has this 'God-Complex' about it, in which it believes it's super unique, special and niche. This is to the point where it doesn't advertise via traditional means. This is a way of asserting how 'different' and 'unique' it is. Likewise, its desire to be niche makes the products way too expensive for the majority of people. It has this false belief that all customers can be turned into buyers, but ignores the reality of most people not having enough money to buy its products.

Thus, its only real target audience are those who know about the brand and those who can afford it. In other words, a significantly small number of people when compared to the volume of customers the adjacent Kathmandu and Mountain Designs were receiving.

Advice to Management

You need to be more open-minded and self-aware of your own flaws. You also need to make sure managers are more respectful and less sales obsessed as a means of creating a more positive and thus effective company culture.