Illumina - Good people, questionable job satisfaction | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

"Good people, questionable job satisfaction"

Current Employee - Technician in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Technician in San Diego, CA

Pros

Flexible Hours (you can come in whenever you want as long as you get 40-50 hrs a week)
As many overtime hours as you can stand to do
Genuinely good hearted, down to earth people who work here
Diverse employee group (both racially and age-wise)
Good in-house cafe
Higher-ups with occasionally buy us lunch

Cons

3/4 of the workforce are "temps," which allows the company to hire us for 40-50 hours a week without benefits, so no paid time off, no vacation, no sick days
Typical corporate culture (i.e. culture-less workplace)
Production process an environmental disaster (tons of trash with minimal recycling program)
Job involves starting at a computer screen about 90% of the time
Job nature is pretty boring - assembly line type atmosphere with 0 creativity involved
Mostly a solo job - you work in solitude most of the time
Poor gender ratio is bad for everyone! (10 to 1 guy to girl ratio in my department)

Advice to Management

Stop treating your manufacturing floor employees like unimportant temp workers! We work our asses off to make the machines which make you millions of dollars, you could at least hire us on with benfits! The "economic downturn" is no excuse for unethical hiring and unfair compensation. Allow us to choose our own vacation time - don't ask us to work the weekend to "make the numbers," and then force us to take off a full week for christmas when we dont get paid for it! I dont even celebrate christmas!

Other Employee Reviews for Illumina

"Okay but could be better - Could be just growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Excellent technology, friendly employees, work environment is okay. I've seen worse and I've seen better. This company has grown by leaps and bounds in the 3 years I've worked here. You are able to interact with multiple departments and learn about what makes a business successful and not successful. I've seen attempts to properly manage the growth, but we've still got a long way to go.

Cons

Work life balance has not really improved. Even with all the new people that are hired. I think this has to do with the fact that Illumina has not effectively utilized technology to manage the growth. For example the HR and IT department is almost non-existent. I've never seen a company this large with such a poor internal operations infrastructure. Also, management is not at experienced as I've seen at other global companies. The folks that do the everyday work struggle to complete tasks without the necessary tools and without management support.

Advice to Management

Let's just say that you work so hard for several years and you love what the company stands for, but it is a thankless job. Your salary is low and you are not able to take vacation when you want to. You do indeed work 24/7. No feedback or thanks from management and little guidance.

"Non-work life takes a beating"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Mostly smart, competent, and friendly people.
    Leading-edge technology.

Cons

Depending on who your manager is, your work life can be a dream or a nightmare. Regardless, overtime is commonplace. You may think your initial job offer is fair or even generous - but be aware there is a price to pay - namely quality time with your real family.

Advice to Management

Implement anonymous peer reviews