Indiana University - Very good, stable job | Glassdoor

"Very good, stable job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Indiana University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are really great. Very low turnover. Very few terminations. Lots of people stay at IU for life.

Cons

The salaries are not competitive and are not consistent from department to department.

Other Employee Reviews for Indiana University

1. "A Good Balance that helped pay for my grad school"

Former Employee - Associate Instructor in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Associate Instructor in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Indiana University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being an associate instructed helped me pay for my graduate education and teaching the students that cared was rewarding. Working with most professors was good as well

Cons

Some challenges to working here are apathetic students who often could care less what they're learning or not. Also the system of clocking in and out is flawed. Hours also varied from week to week and often times you were expected to do more in a week than you were paid for.

Advice to Management

I would advice the management to consider making clocking in and out easier.

2. "Okay...depending on who your manager is."

Former Employee - RPS Cashier in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - RPS Cashier in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Indiana University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you live on campus, it's great. It's close to your dorm room and the pay isn't that bad. If you want to do minimal work, train to be a cashier.

Cons

The process for becoming a student supervisor is terrible. Actually, there is no process. You have to suck up to the existing student supervisors and party with them. If you have a different friend group and don't want to associate with them, then good luck. The manager (a non-student who runs everything) is practically controlled by these students. The people who'd actually be good supervisors and actually do their work are unnoticed, because they aren't chatting with the existing student supervisors.

I had to train student supervisors on how to do their job every day I worked. I often had to take on the role of supervisor because they had no idea what to do.

Advice to Management

Have someone from outside of the store interview students for supervisor roles. Keeping the supervisor roles "cliquey" leads to students in a role of authority who have no idea what they are doing. This causes a lot of undue stress on other employees and it really frustrates the customers.