Infineum - Linden Chemical Plant Intern | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Infineum

"Linden Chemical Plant Intern"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Linden, NJ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Linden, NJ

Pros

- excellent coop/internship program for undergraduate engineers
- challenging projects
- excellent support from more experienced engineers
- relax and easy going environment
- great culture among younger engineers
- opportunity to learn and grow as a process engineer in a plant environment

Cons

- a lot of work to do leading to long hours (occasionally)
- 24/7 continuous process demands a lot responsibility and creates some stress

Advice to Management

Continue to allow young engineers to work in the plant and develop as future process engineers but try to establish a more balanced work/life ratio to relieve some stress for up and coming engineers.

Other Employee Reviews for Infineum

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Process Contact Engineer in Linden, NJ
    Former Employee - Process Contact Engineer in Linden, NJ

Pros

Great mentorship and opportunities for young employees. Flexible schedule allowed for excellent work-life balance. Developed my leadership abilities. Fun and challenging from the beginning.

Cons

Tough industry with tight profit margins makes work a little stressful at times and does not allow for opportunity for big salary growth.

Advice to Management

Continue offering great opportunities and mentorship of young employees. The opportunity to be involved in big projects early on is one of the biggest advantages to working at Infineum.

2. "Not a bad company, but that safety culture..."

I worked at Infineum full-time

Pros

Decent reward, friendly colleagues, good restaurant. I believe they actually care for their people and the company has a bit of a family vibe even though it's quite large.

Cons

I absolutely HATED their safety culture. I can understand that safety is paramount for those in industrial or chemist environments. Unfortunately they also insist that staff that work in support/staff functions adhere to the same high standards.

The result is mandatory safety reporting for all staff. Not holding the handrail? Moving somewhere private with your cellphone to your ear? Shoelace untied? Someone will jump out to give you a behaviour based safety observation. You have regular long meetings about these safety observations, most meetings start with safety moments, off-site meetings start with scouting the room for emergency exits, quarterly updates spend at least half an hour talking about safety, you have annual safety days, and the list goes on and on. They pride themselves as being safe. So much, that your variable reward is dependent on how many safety incidents happen. You also need a minimum of safety observations per year and doing more is applauded. All my colleagues were constantly on the hunt to "score" some observations. Every single one of my friends thought that I was joking when I told them about my experiences.

It's not the only reason I left - but it absolutely poisoned the company culture for me.

Other cons: very hierarchical structure, very old/slow changing company culture because of long tenure and low turnover. It seems that most of the managers in the company are people that stuck around long enough to get promoted. You can tell that a lot of them are engineers first and managers second.