Infinia - Highly technical, great people. No idea how long it takes to develop a product. | Glassdoor

"Highly technical, great people. No idea how long it takes to develop a product."

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer III in Ogden, UT

I worked at Infinia full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

We were working on a solar product using a Stirling engine and parabolic mirror. This type of product has never successfully been commercialized and the feeling of accomplishing something that had never been done was exhilarating. There was always something interesting to work on and always a challenging problem to be solved. The people I worked with directly were top notch engineers/technicians and people. Working with them made coming to work everyday something to look forward to.

Cons

Unrealistic planning lead to the investors loss of confidence. We were a small company trying to move from SBIR government grants to a publicly traded successful company. Company leaders thought that we were more advanced in our technology then we were and promised investors that we would be commercialized in 2 years. It has been 7 years and, though the product is very close, there are still at least 2 years of integration work and refinement before it is a quality product. The difference between the time we told the investors it would take to commercialize and what it has actually taken lead to a loss of confidence and investors pulling out. At the beginning one investor told us that our timing was unrealistic and that their experience would suggest a time from of 7 to 10 years was more realistic. Infinia should have listened.

Advice to Management

Trust your people when they present a detailed plan. They are not "padding" the time line. If anything they are underestimating. The uncertainty in what you are doing is too great to ignore.

Infinia2013-09-30

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great place to work"

I worked at Infinia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A high energy environment, with very talented people trying to improve the world with a renewable energy product. A very talented technical team that was highly motivated at creating the right product.

Cons

@ the end it lost its energy, glad they were able to recharge in UT

Infinia2015-08-17
  2. "game changing distributed solar technology"

I worked at Infinia full-time

Pros

Highly talented professionals with deep technical expertise.

Cons

built the company too fast

Infinia2017-04-03

Discover more reviews about Infinia.