Informa - Nice stepping stone if just starting your career. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Informa

"Nice stepping stone if just starting your career."

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Sarasota, FL
Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Sarasota, FL

Pros

The Informa Support Services -Sarasota office offers great opportunities for customer service, cash applications, collections, billing, and accounts payable professionals, as well as a growing finance team open to recruiting college graduates. The office executive team as a whole strongly believes in in-house promotions which is evident in the retention time of the staff.

Cons

Some Sarasota departments must work national holidays but are given time off later in the month (4th of July, Labor day, etc.). This is only hard to swallow when other international offices are able to get time off for their local holidays that fall during crucial deadlines but the Sarasota finance team does not get the same consideration.

Advice to Management

Great mix of management styles. The Sarasota office has put together an extraordinary executive team and offer all staff the opportunity to be mentored by these multifaceted accounting professionals.

Other Employee Reviews for Informa

"financial information services firm is challenging to work for, but rewarding because of that."

Current Employee - Mystery Shopper in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Mystery Shopper in New York, NY

Pros

The company is a division of a larger international company, which means there are great benefits. The fields we specialize in allow us to have lots of challenging work oppportunities. The workload is heavy, but manageable. The New York City location (where most of my work comes from) is in a central location, in the building next door to Grand Central Terminal. There are so many different people to work with

Cons

The workload is heavy. Sometimes there are not enough staffers in-house to get work in on time, so self-imposed deadlines slip, and we suffer. Projects can be pre-assigned in an environment where everyone is supposed to self-assign them. This can create havok with schedules, deadlines, location screw-ups, on-time reporting. The communication is generally great, but when a glitch happens, it can be really bad. In some locations (Atlanta, for example), advancement in the company is limited by the small number of positions available. One has to move, either to California (Los Angeles/Calabasas) or New York (Manhattan, NYC), to advance within the company.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that Senior Management ensure that project timelines are rational, and projects are not launched before participants understand all the important details they are responsible for. That would include not pre-assigning projects to the evaluators (when the project is getting behind schedule), who need to have some control over their own schedules.

"Informa in Massachusetts is hopefully not representative as a whole."

Former Employee - Manager in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Worcester, MA

Pros

In this economy, it's a job. Luckily one I left behind me.

Cons

Rigid hours, uneducated Human Resources, inflexible working conditions, Director-level management openly played favorites. No programs were in place to foster inter-departmental interaction. Lots of layoffs. Some borderline illegal employee practices - i.e. giving one employee flexibility, when employees of equal standing are not given the same benefit or laying off employees with legitimate worker's comp claims. It was a dismal place to work - at least in my group.

Advice to Management

Employees need better resources, flexibility. When I was there, we had a poorly managed intranet, little information was shared with the staff including in-office Sr. Managers. The work schedule and inflexibility was terrible. I was in a meeting and another employee commented that "This used to be a good place to work"...unfortunately he was right and I hadn't worked there when it was considered good.