Informing Change - A decent place to do business | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Informing Change

"A decent place to do business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Pros

The management is dedicated to having a great organizational culture, and staff retreats and staff meetings are held to address internal issues and try to improve things. I learned a ton while working here and I loved the people I worked with. What a fun bunch!

Cons

Sometimes they talk the talk but don't walk the walk. There's a lot of processing about internal issues and client issues, but not a lot of resolution. The company is small, so room for advancement is nonexistent.

Advice to Management

I think the management is great at BTW and it's always easy to approach them when issues arise. Good job.

Other Employee Reviews for Informing Change

1. "A great place to do good"

Pros

Employees are smart and committed, and genuinely interested in their clients and in informing change in the nonprofit sector. The client projects are interesting, and work on multiple projects simultaneously keeps things interesting and busy. The company's approach to rigorous and applied evaluation, research and strategy is great - the focus is on producing good work that is useful and relevant. Working at a for-profit that serves the non-profit sector gives employees the best of both worlds: the opportunity to do good with competitive compensation and organizational resources to support the work.

It's a woman-owned, small business, and there are plenty of advantages to being part of a more intimate work "family." I am still close to several employees and a wonderful group of alumni. The staff and management have genuine care and concern for others in their professional and personal lives.

I worked my way up in the company and was encouraged to do so. While moving between positions takes time and lots of hard work, there is room and a desire to to promote from within.

Cons

Internal capacity can often be quite unevenly matched to the client work, and is sometimes unevenly distributed among staff. The pressure to win new projects and keep to billable hours can create fatigue and burnout among staff, particularly among those juggling work and family responsibilities. However, these are likely issues at most consulting firms. The company was often slow and resistant to resolving internal issues such as employee performance and interpersonal conflict. At times, more intentional support (coaching, supervision, training) was needed to help staff attain and succeed with new roles and responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work to help Informing Change grow and thrive.

2. "Supportive environment, interesting work"

I have been working at Informing Change full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is really committed to both organizational and personal growth and makes a concerted effort to balance the two. The work is mentally engaging and connected to helping nonprofits and foundations improve how they do their work, so I really feel like I'm help affect positive change. Everyone who works here is sharp, committed to the work, and supportive of one another.

Cons

The billable consultancy model means that external client work is always the priority, sometimes at the expense of important internal, company-facing work, such as marketing and communications.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!