Ingles Markets - Well, It's A Job. | Glassdoor

"Well, It's A Job."

Current Employee - Deli Associate in Asheville, NC
Current Employee - Deli Associate in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The main pro for me, is the wonderful co-workers I am blessed to work with. I have made some great friendships, here, and the way we work together, is nothing like anyplace else I've worked. Each seems to know what the other is thinking, able to take over a task without needing direction, a once-in-a-lifetime chemistry.

Cons

Low pay and only 30 hours a week. Only 8.50 an hour to start? Regularly understaffed (due largely to the hour limit) which accounts for a good amount of lost sales, since customers only have so much patience before moving on. Management from store level on up through corporate is among the worst I've ever experienced. The store manager has no personality, at all; she will bark at people for no reason, whatsoever (she's even told employees that laughing on the job is against the rules). Corporate has no clue, whatsoever, as to how to run the business. A classic example is a memo issued by the corporate department head in our department, that stated in the event of a power outage, water has to be boiled on the stove, to wash dishes....only problem, the stoves are electric. They are continually slicing hours, yet adding work, and then complaining when we're not done by the desired time. A highly dysfunctional company.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the 30 hours a week garbage, let your people work full-time and quit treating them with a plantation mentality. You'll be surprised at how much better they'll work and how much sales will rise.

Other Employee Reviews for Ingles Markets

1. "good starting job for young people"

Pros

this would be the flexibility

Cons

the pay and the hours

"NEVER WORK HERE...EVER!!"

Former Employee - Lead Meat Cutter in Waynesville, NC
    Former Employee - Lead Meat Cutter in Waynesville, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work for them for three years. Great for bending posted times, to fit a family life style. I was a Lead Cutter for them, so i made, some what decent money.

Cons

The Co's, D.M.'s and upper management teams are extremly rude. They act like your nothing and your not worth the time to have there.(Unless: You have 10+ years). Your department managers are spitefull back-stabbers and will throw you under the bus, to save there own a**. Everyone in the stores, from upper to lower management are unprofessional, gossip starting, kiss a**es. If you are good at brown noseing, sucking up, or staying on your knees, this is the job for you. I tried for two years to move to a different area and applied with other jobs, within the company. Not only did I not get any responses to any other jobs, I was told by my D.M., "I cant replace you here, sorry, I cant move you yet". I heard that for the rest of my time with them (alomst 2 years).

Advice to Management

Hit puberty! Grow up and stand up for your own. Let the employee know that they are needed, $.05 cent to $.25 cent raises, are not the way to tell us, "Good Job". To upper management: Your status at this company should not be based on, Best friends with V.P.'s, Golfing buddies, or My brother needs a job. Some (20%) have worked to get there, the other (80%) just friends with a higher up. You need to look at Sam's Club and Publix, for tips on how to succeed in a business.