Ingles Markets - Worst experience ever. | Glassdoor

"Worst experience ever."

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Asheville, NC
Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Asheville, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours and pay because I needed something part-time

Cons

The management is horrible. The store manager at the store I was at would cuss out employees if she was having a bad day to the point of threatening to fire to pregnant employees if they missed anymore work because of their conditions. Our department breathed sighs of relief on that store manager's days off.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees like their human beings. We're not your personal slaves for you to take your bad day out on. We have families and children that get sick, pass away or family emergencies come up that we have no control over. Don't tell us that you're going to fire us if one more thing happens. Don't threaten our jobs when we have to miss work because we have to admit our kid into the hospital!! Use some common sense! Sensitivity train would do management some good.

Other Employee Reviews for Ingles Markets

"Management turns a blind eye to bad supervisors."

Former Employee - NONE in Black Mountain, NC
    Former Employee - NONE in Black Mountain, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Close to my home. It was real easy to quit!

Cons

Supervisors lack the basic ability to supervise their staff and have no accountability for a job badly done. People are advanced at the corporate office for longevity instead of merit. Never met a nastier bunch of unhappy co-workers. Just a paycheck. No merit awards except numbers of years these people have hung onto their jobs. Benefits are nil. No sick time for office employees. One women having chemotherapy had to use her vacation days if she was to be out a couple days. That's just shameful! Vacation policy is archaic. Raises are .25/hour max.

Advice to Management

Most of your VP's and managers are insiders. The only job they have ever held is at Ingles. Lifers are complacent. They're just filling chairs until retirement. Bring in some outside blood to advance your company. Stand up and be decent to your employees! Demote bad supervisors! SELL to Publics!

"Ingles I-Market trust out the door"

Former Employee - I-Market Clerk in Hiawassee, GA
    Former Employee - I-Market Clerk in Hiawassee, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the most part, working there was relatively easy, easily handling most customer requests and questions. I also enjoyed working with some of the other employees. Some extremely helpful. Most of the POS systems were easy to learn and pick up.

Cons

The first big mistake you make and you're out the door! It had been a hot day, I'd done quite a bit of work with the AC being out. Tired, hot, exhausted.... Picked up a cord that I'd moved earlier that after the fact I knew wasn't mine and packed it into my car. Hadn't even left when the owner of the cord wanted it back. Said cord was returned and an apology and partial excuse was given but certainly after the fact not accepted. Was let go the next morning due to 'trust issues'. Mistakes made on my part, mistakes made on my part and on my immediate supervisor's part as well. A verbal reprimand or pay cut would have worked better than just getting fired for an honest mistake. A mistake that could have been avoided if I had not been hot and tired or if the owner of the cord had not left it behind. The time clock issue took some time to resolve as well, more than several days to get my timeclock number to work properly, and never did get a clerk ID number to run the POS terminals under my own name. LAME and LAZY.

Advice to Management

Give a little bit more lee-way on a first mistake, and strive to allow for growth and improvement, not just firing them outright.