Ingles Markets - Good stable work | Glassdoor

"Good stable work"

Current Employee - Night Stock in Athens, TN
Current Employee - Night Stock in Athens, TN

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a retail job with retail hours regardless of what shift or position you work. Ingles offers a stable workplace to learn basic skills or begin a new career. Ingles has a 401k that offers to match 50%. They have worked with me on my scheduling and if I need a weekend off they allow you to switch days with others to make it happen. I read a lot negative reviews about this company...Ingles has a whole is a great company however each location will be ran and operated differently...it.s up to you the employee to make it a good experience.

Cons

As I mentioned each location is different. Where I'm at the store management needs a reality check. Other than that...no complaints.

Advice to Management

It's OK and good practice to be a part of your employees personal life. Get to know them...what makes them who they are...they're needs...they're aspirations. Management needs to tend to employees like crops in a garden...The more tending...weeding the better the overall outcome.

Other Employee Reviews for Ingles Markets

1. "Worst Job EVER!"

Former Employee - Service Clerk in Locust Grove, GA
    Former Employee - Service Clerk in Locust Grove, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The beginning salary is $8.00
    You meet some good customers and great employees.
    The manager for the shift pretty much declares whether or not it'll be a good day or not.

Cons

-Extremely poor management!
    -Do not expect to be seen or treated like an adult, especially if you're a service clerk. The worst job.
    -People are very disgusting and the work is sometimes tedious.
    -The managers seriously do not care and expect you to do every stupid request they give you because you're under them (things that are not even found in the job description).
    -They will also target and manipulate others by threatening their jobs.
    -The workers who receive favoritism are excused from doing their job, so you have to pick up all chores.
    -Most of the management treat the store like a high school. Do not be shocked at the ample amount of drama and gossip being spread around the store.
    -The customers sometines have very ridiculous request and will become very upset and aggressive with the cashier for a mistake that was not in their control! (A product rings up for the wrong price).
    -Very inconsistent hours.
    -You'll be training the person who is destined to replace you.
    -Management will take out personal issues on employees by treating them in a despicable, very unprofessional manner.
    -The few managers who actually represent and respect the employees will be highly criticized and abandoned by the rest of management.

Advice to Management

Actually do your job! Stop treating the employees like idiot children! Stop targeting particular employees and having them complete ridiculous task. You NEED to listen to your employees and customers especially if a large group is complaining about ONE manager in particular. Definitely need to invest in better employee evaluations. Please STOP hiring a bunch of people unfit for this job just because they have a pretty smile and fulfill your secret fantasy. If too many people are on the front end and there's only one person in the bakery, perhaps you should start taking that into consideration you morons!

"My experience at ingles was just awful at times and good at times"

Former Employee - Meat Cutter in Athens, TN
    Former Employee - Meat Cutter in Athens, TN

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well the pros are that I no longer work there. That place drove me absolutely crazy to the point of no return

Cons

Many cons but just to name the major ones. The management is god awful. They play favorites to an extreme. If you do your job they will get on to you. If your on your knees the management will love you. Then you have the customers. They apparently think since they pay more for their groceries that they deserve some kind of special treatment. I don't think so.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO. Clean house and just maybe the place won't be obsolete in a few years