Employee Review

Current Employee, more than 5 years

Smoke and Mirrors

Apr 4, 2016 - Sales in Mississauga, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ability to advance if you are somewhat articulate, look a certain way and sip the cool-aid. So called 'upper management' is a real boys club, you don't really need to be truly hard working to advance in this company and I would argue that this can be more of a negative that a positive as it has a lot to do with perception and can be somewhat out of your control. Nonetheless it is a simple formula, that is, if your'e willing to do it. Company 'pretends' (all talk, no action) to care about corporate culture. A real pro because at least you can question or call people out on their B.S. I've been at companies that couldn't care less about pretending. There is a resource for everything, typical of larger companies. From time to time, free lunches and coffee paid for by vendors. Parkade, good for snow and rain cover. There is a high ratio of good people at Ingram!

Cons

I truly hope this can help someone out because I intend to be completely honest. I was once a very happy employee. My perception was that this company truly cared about employee morale and its ambitions truly aligned with my own. That is to be successful and be rewarded commensurate to the amount of effort that I put in. I put the extra effort into everything I did and there was really never a time that I didn't work whether off my phone or at home. I didn't mind, because I wanted to do well and I believed the company truly appreciated my efforts. Obviously this changed along with my perception of the company. - Middle management are glorified accounts. They fib numbers in order to create the perception of success and boy do they suck up to upper management, it's actually quite obvious and amusing. Because the numbers are B.S. (back-end funding etc) they have a lot of control over whether you hit your numbers. I don't like this because I want to work for my compensation, not be under the mercy of how much they want to pay me when I truly believe commission should be in line with effort and the numbers that you accomplish through it. I HAVE hit my numbers so I am not mad because I am bad. Just see it for what it is. The commission "algorithm" is interesting, if you do well, they'll figure out a way to make you pay back (next quarter or whenever) so your yearly OTE is in line, it is so obvious! - This ties into my previous point. The company is complacent. If you're a go getter and want to move the needle and set benchmarks this is not the place for you as you will either have to pay back for your success or be met with resistance. When I say complacent I don't mean that they do not want to be better, it is a public company after all so it cannot be too obvious. What I mean is that Ingram is reactionary and doesn't put in the necessary tools or procedures to actually move the needle substantially. It's good for stability, change is bad when you lack the competence to think outside the box or are unable to adapt. Keeps the current regime in tact, which I don't necessarily believe is a good thing. - Upper management is so silo'd off from the employee. There are some incredible ego's here, wow! I would put up with it fine if I believed the person was smart and I could learn from them. The bad could be offset by what I learn from them. This is just not the case at Ingram. Truth is, they'll have quarterly all hands meeting where the upper management will talk to you like they are supportive and receptive to employee engagement etc. You know, the "open door" type management style. Once the meeting is over you'll see them in the hall and they'll pass you by like you don't even exist (unapproachable) until the next quarterly on-hands. You know how some people just give off that arrogant vibe? This reflects 80% of upper management. It's actually quite sad as I am used to seeing upper management as people that I admired, individuals with charisma or extreme intelligence. Respect is never an entitlement. Maybe my first point in the "pros" section is distorting reality. - No work from home or telecommute (used to be twice a week), they recently changed it to twice per quarter but only when there is inclement weather.

Continue reading
    9 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company to start a Career

May 16, 2022 - Inside Sale Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. Great team. Awesome Incentives and Helpful team.

Cons

End of Q and month you have to work after work hours.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for

May 2, 2022 - Marketing Manager in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, management, and benefits.

Cons

Holds on to some old ways of doing things at times.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Ingram Micro.