InnerWorkings - Shiny and pretty on the outside, rotten to the core internally | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for InnerWorkings

"Shiny and pretty on the outside, rotten to the core internally"

Pros

The office location is cool and will impress you as is the decor. They have excellent health insurance but little else in terms of an overall package.

Cons

Where do I start? First of all, it's a very misogynistic workplace. There is very little chance you will be promoted if you are a women working at InnerWorkings. Second, some very underhanded and unethical things take place within the walls of corporate headquarters. I was shocked at the way I was treated and some of the things that happened to me and others. I would be very careful about accepting a position at this organization.

Advice to Management

Remember that your people are everything and long term your treatment of them will mean success or failure. If you valued them a bit more, you could be very successful. Promote some of the strong women you have employed to more key management positions. Stop protecting the incompetent men currently in high level roles.

Other Employee Reviews for InnerWorkings

"Danger, Will Robinson!"

Pros

Highly unstructured environment - this is a great opportunity if you are looking to avoid process and methodology, or if you thrive under chaotic conditions.

Cons

Highly unstructured environment - if you are not a person that can tolerate and thrive in the midst of chaos & pressure, you will not do well here.

Advice to Management

1) Figure out what it is you can offer.
    2) Figure out *how* to do 1 (preferably to minimize waste and maximize profitability).
    3) Offer that product and / or service to the customer.

This is not the order in which things are currently executed and it shows.

2. "Demanding Environment But Can Be Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at InnerWorkings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great teammates, approachable and knowledgeable developers, and challenging but rewarding environment. I'm constantly pushing boundaries on my work, and I feel encouraged to do so. Very few days are the same.

I would recommend this job for people who like hitting the ground running and don't need someone holding their hand all the time.

Cons

There is very little tolerance for incompetence or people who can't keep up. This is fine if you're a self-starter who can keep up the pace, but a lot of people are left behind. Unless a teammate steps up, there's little sense of mentorship.

I would not recommend this job for people who need more time to get started and like more hands-on management styles.

Advice to Management

There's a difference between babying someone and letting them drown when you toss them into the deep end of the pool. Managers should undergo people/soft skill training and check in with their employees more. It shouldn't be all about results and the bottom line all the time. Make the time to mentor the employees who aren't performing the way you expect before you threaten them with a performance improvement plan.