Inova - Being a PFS Supervisor at Inova is NOT all it's cracked up to be! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Inova

"Being a PFS Supervisor at Inova is NOT all it's cracked up to be!"

Former Employee - PFS Supervisor in Falls Church, VA
Former Employee - PFS Supervisor in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Inova full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good health benefits
- Descent location (Telestar)
- Great leadership training

Cons

I was with Inova for 6 years and the latter part of my career there, I was promoted to PFS Supervisor; however, I had the absolute worst Director who was unsupportive, lacked consistent leadership abilities, and made the front line supervisors look like idiots mainly because she did not have our backs.

The sad part is the the Sr. Director never saw any of this. She had rose colored glasses on to what was going on in the department. I could not handle one more day working with a director who acted so bipolar.... one day supervisors were getting praised for a job well done and the next, we were getting our heads chewed off for one reason or another.

It was NOT a stable environment to be in. The AR staff could see the stress we were under and it really played an impact on them because of the high turnover rate. I wish the Sr. Director would have been more open to seeing what was going on and taken her head out of the Director's butt for one second and maybe she would have noticed how poorly her management team was and still is being treated so poorly by the Director she just absolutely adores.

Lastly, the hours we were expected to work (60+ in one week) were absolutely insane! That would drive anyone to the asylum!

Advice to Management

Take a look around and see how many people are so unhappy because of your actions. Listen to your staff and be open to change. Maybe come back from those lavish ILI sessions and share what you learned with your team.

The measly salary management receives is NOT worth all of the stress!

Other Employee Reviews for Inova

"Operating Room"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Inova part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great for learning, you will see it all.

Cons

Continuous reorganization, too often feel like just a number.

"Great group of employees, struggling to stay afloat with turmoil in management"

Current Employee - Surgical Tech II in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Surgical Tech II in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Inova full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The group of people i work directly with in the OR are great coworkers and friends as well. We care about eachother and definitely for our patients.

the experience you can gain working in a level 1 trauma center is unparalleled.

Cons

in the year and a half ive been at Inova, there has been several management changes and little consistency. Out of 4 people in current management positions, 2 of them have clinical experience. A lot of changes and decisions are made that greatly impact the staff with no
    influence from the staff.

we are currently required to take 40 hours of call in a 6 week period, and that requirement changes frequently due to a lack of staff.

currently there are at least 7 travelers in the department which decreases moral for permanent staff because travelers come and go with little regard and no loyalty to Inova, its difficult to adjust to the constant fluctuation of travelers and their working styles, and of course compensation varies largely between permanent and temporary staff.

Advice to Management

Each room has its own environment and needs and varies day to day. what works today may not work tomorrow, so consider the staffs opinions on what will and wont help before making giant decisions about things.

instead of paying so much to fill positions with temporary workers with no loyalty, try paying your permanent staff a little more and rewarding them for all the hard work they do.

develop a plan for advancement. ive been told for months that even tho a tech III position is a possibility, that there is no current standard for being a tech III and thus the tech II's are unable to move up.