Insight - It (sort of) pays the bills for now | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Insight

"It (sort of) pays the bills for now"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ
Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Medical benefits
*Fairly flexible schedule
*Great networking opportunities
*Free swag from partners
*Learning how NOT to run a business
*They'll hire anybody - seriously. My training class was bartenders, real estate guys, and retail cell phone sales people. Nobody besides me had an IT background.

Cons

*Piss-poor medical coverage for the price. This is more on the boneheads in DC though
*No advancement if you aren't Mormon
*Micromanaged, ridiculous metrics that are unattainable with the resources provided
*Commission is TERRIBLE - they tack on so many adders you have to sell at almost no margin, and still won't beat any of your biggest competitors
*Back-end rebates that are intended to help us drive prices down just go to line the executives' pockets
*Hostile work environment - blatant favoritism/nepotism to the point it interferes with other folks' work, and then threats and hostile retaliation are the rewards HR whistleblowers receive
*The line of crap they feed you in the interviews and training make it sound decent and get you excited.
*New-hire sales trainers have never actually worked in sales, and openly admit it. Which explains why the training is so terrible.
*Constant "trainings" and refresher courses - sometimes several in a single day, 4-5 days a week, which are just sales pitches from whichever manufacturer is in that day, not teaching anything, just pitching the product, which we're required to push on customers in return - which 99% of the time do not apply. I.e. - the requirement (in your quota now) to sell Microsoft licensing that has a minimum cutoff of 250 seats, while not one of your accounts has over 125 seats. And that's one of the less ridiculous scenarios.
*More focused on executive bonuses, buying companies, and sending the good-ole-boy club (aka the Mormon constituency) on trips than actually providing VALUE - you know, the V part of VAR - to customers.

Advice to Management

Cut the BS and get up to date to be competitive. Reward hard work and knowledge.

Other Employee Reviews for Insight

"Insight – a commodity reseller not a place to work in professional services"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Insight introduced me to some nice contacts and gave me the opportunity to work on a wide range of projects.

Cons

My initial experience with Insight was good, but it soured the longer I worked for them. It was upon resigning for a better opportunity I discovered how I was better off leaving them when I did. If one isn’t a resident of California, Massachusetts or Illinois, upon leaving Insight they forfeit all accrued PTO and comp time.

Working for them, it was easy to see that the company is driven more by hardware and software sales than the services they sell. Additionally, the rate at which I saw top talent leaving Insight, over my tenure, was a sign that it wasn’t a place that was willing to compensate or take care of its people. I’ve had friends recruited by the firm, and I’ve provided them the same cautions.

Advice to Management

Improve compensation and benefits; move away from the commodities sales business model.

"Used to be a career ,company now they are just a job."

Former Employee - Sales in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team members are the best part of the company. The hours are not terrible and the facility is nice complete with a cafeteria.

Cons

Over the past 18 months the company has gone through a complete leadership change at the VP level. They are bringing in many executives who hit the ceiling with competitors such as CDW and putting them into leadership roles. Unfortunately this has added significant ego and ladder climbers to that level. I believe C level executives and board of directors are good but don't realize the determent the incoming executives are creating on the company. I voluntarily left at the point I realized I couldn't feel good about myself representing their brand. It used to be customers, company and employees were the top priorities. It now is VP's, Share holders, customers, company and then employees.

Advice to Management

Check the egos and actual records of VP's coming into the company. You have not brought in talent you have brought in someone else's baggage.