Insight - Good place to work | Glassdoor

"Good place to work"

Former Contractor - Engineer in Tempe, AZ
Former Contractor - Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

nice environment and good people

Cons

pay not good , no good facility

Other Employee Reviews for Insight

"It (sort of) pays the bills for now"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Medical benefits
    *Fairly flexible schedule
    *Great networking opportunities
    *Free swag from partners
    *Learning how NOT to run a business
    *They'll hire anybody - seriously. My training class was bartenders, real estate guys, and retail cell phone sales people. Nobody besides me had an IT background.

Cons

*Piss-poor medical coverage for the price. This is more on the boneheads in DC though
    *No advancement if you aren't Mormon
    *Micromanaged, ridiculous metrics that are unattainable with the resources provided
    *Commission is TERRIBLE - they tack on so many adders you have to sell at almost no margin, and still won't beat any of your biggest competitors
    *Back-end rebates that are intended to help us drive prices down just go to line the executives' pockets
    *Hostile work environment - blatant favoritism/nepotism to the point it interferes with other folks' work, and then threats and hostile retaliation are the rewards HR whistleblowers receive
    *The line of crap they feed you in the interviews and training make it sound decent and get you excited.
    *New-hire sales trainers have never actually worked in sales, and openly admit it. Which explains why the training is so terrible.
    *Constant "trainings" and refresher courses - sometimes several in a single day, 4-5 days a week, which are just sales pitches from whichever manufacturer is in that day, not teaching anything, just pitching the product, which we're required to push on customers in return - which 99% of the time do not apply. I.e. - the requirement (in your quota now) to sell Microsoft licensing that has a minimum cutoff of 250 seats, while not one of your accounts has over 125 seats. And that's one of the less ridiculous scenarios.
    *More focused on executive bonuses, buying companies, and sending the good-ole-boy club (aka the Mormon constituency) on trips than actually providing VALUE - you know, the V part of VAR - to customers.

Advice to Management

Cut the BS and get up to date to be competitive. Reward hard work and knowledge.

"Insight – a commodity reseller not a place to work in professional services"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Insight introduced me to some nice contacts and gave me the opportunity to work on a wide range of projects.

Cons

My initial experience with Insight was good, but it soured the longer I worked for them. It was upon resigning for a better opportunity I discovered how I was better off leaving them when I did. If one isn’t a resident of California, Massachusetts or Illinois, upon leaving Insight they forfeit all accrued PTO and comp time.

Working for them, it was easy to see that the company is driven more by hardware and software sales than the services they sell. Additionally, the rate at which I saw top talent leaving Insight, over my tenure, was a sign that it wasn’t a place that was willing to compensate or take care of its people. I’ve had friends recruited by the firm, and I’ve provided them the same cautions.

Advice to Management

Improve compensation and benefits; move away from the commodities sales business model.