Insight - Great starting point, then get out | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Insight

"Great starting point, then get out"

Former Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Tempe, AZ
Former Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's really easy to get hired into sales at Insight - every other halfway decent company may want you to have experience, so Insight is great place to start when you have NONE. It's basically where you go to pay your dues, or "serve your time" as many of us refer to it, so you can get tech sales experience and then move on to a better job.

Just look at it as a way to win free stuff and get some free lunches while networking with people who will all be working somewhere else someday soon and getting the experience you need to move on.

Cons

The sales training isn't very good so you're basically having to figure it out yourself.
Lots of cold calling.
Expectations and quotas are always changing.
Compensation plan is always changing as well, making it harder and harder for you to earn commission.
Upper management sets the direction and doesn't really care about how it affects the sales people, and your sales manager may care, but not enough to speak up for fear of losing his/her job.

Advice to Management

There needs to be an entire culture shift and I doubt that's likely to happen. The sales force drives the revenue of the business and yet gets screwed at every turn. Nobody feels like they can speak up about how they really feel for fear of just getting fired.

Other Employee Reviews for Insight

"Nice people for the most part. C-levels were very communicative of company direction and goals."

Current Employee - IT Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Insight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great communication from C-Levels. Employees knew where the company was heading or they were not paying attention.

Cons

Not yet a global company. EMEA still acted as a separate entity making their own decisions, implemented seperate CRM. The integration of some of the prior companies were in process by had not taken place. Many of the industry standard processes you would have thought would have been in place was not the case. Did not always feel contributuions were appreciated.

Advice to Management

Great companies are determined by their level of service not the commodity products they sell. People provide those services not the products.

"Used to be good"

Former Employee - Manufacturer Sales Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Manufacturer Sales Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Insight full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Your coworkers are amazing, the only reason why I stayed so long. It paid the bills as long as I was being bonused, but if you specialize in a declining category and you're given growth goals guess what happens? You learn to live off your slim base salary.

Cons

People with no managerial experience are hired as managers. They make decisions that they really don't understand and they are not the ones that have to deal with the fall out due to those. They don't take the time to learn the business and it can be very frustrating for those who are in the day to day grind. I also had a manager prevent me from putting in for a promotion when there were no grounds to do so. When the person that was supposed to guide me and help build me instead destroyed me, after almost a decade at a place I once loved and never dreamt I would leave; I knew it was time to move on.

Advice to Management

Hire managers because they have real world experience, not fancy degrees. Pay attention to NBD data and give realistic goals. If someone knows there is absolutely no way they can hit their quotas, they won't be motivated to work harder because what is the point? Give them something achievable and they will work harder for it.