Insituform Technologies - Great industry - on paper. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Insituform Technologies

"Great industry - on paper."

Current Employee - Engineer in Chesterfield, MO
Current Employee - Engineer in Chesterfield, MO

Pros

The company's line of business is noble - repairing and maintaining aging infrastructure. It would seem at face value to be a high growth, in demand line of business. Somehow the company never really manages to fully capitalize on the potential.

Cons

Pay is average at best. The engineering group is exceptionally inflexible from a schedule standpoint - unless it's the employee's time, that is. Employees are expected to travel on their time (weekends are best), stay in cheap accommodations, and eat as cheaply as possible, and still show up on Friday when their flight gets back in (and you had better schedule the earliest flight back in that you can). Comp time is unheard of. Company seems to be in constant disarray from a organizational standpoint.

Advice to Management

I don't have an MBA, so I'm not qualified to comment on management. One of the biggest challenges is probably to stop the flow of talented, experienced people out of the company and into its competitors. Insituform has trained the top people of practically every other company in the CIPP industry.

Other Employee Reviews for Insituform Technologies

1. "1"

Former Employee - Accounting in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Accounting in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

If you are in engineering, this is a great place to work.

Cons

Accounting does not treat or pay its employees very well and there is no room for advancement in the company.

Advice to Management

I know management never listens, but please consider what your employees contribute.

2. "Blatant Disregard for Safety Procedures"

Former Employee - Construction Labourer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Construction Labourer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Insituform Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent starting pay. Subsidized gym memberships and 401K contributions from the employer. Equipment reimbursement.

Cons

Construction and transportation jobs are inherently dangerous, but reasonable precautions can (and are supposed to) be taken to minimize the risk of injury and death. Having said that, I am disappointed with this company for having the most blatant disregard for workplace safety that I have ever encountered.

The workdays are often long, and although this happens in construction, what is not acceptable is the practice of demoting employees for taking a moment to eat a snack or hydrate themselves after working more than 4 hours since their last designated break. I became seriously dehydrated while working at this job and became sick as a result.

I witnessed my team leader threaten one of his subordinates with violence for having used due caution when carrying out a dangerous procedure. Needless to say, threats like those are unprofessional and should not be tolerated.

Advice to Management

Stop protecting incompetent leaders. Create a healthier and safer workplace culture and actually listen to the concerns of your employees instead of stonewalling and denying the existence of problems.