Employee Review

1. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Tech department will fall due to poor technical vision lead by "Architect" without mobile or Golang experience

Jul 5, 2020 - Mobile Software Architect and Lead Android Developer in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Learning about serial communications was fun! Running our remote tech team was fun and challenging as well.

Cons

The tech team consists of an "architect" without mobile knowledge or golang experience which is the majority of the code base. The architect is attempting to change the programming language that the backend is written in to clojure, as opposed to actually learn the language that the two full-time backend developers are invested in. The architect has been with this company with a golang backend for over a year. There is no buy-in from the backend developers to add the tech debt of changing backend languages. The architect will throw other projects under the bus if he cannot take credit for those successes. The architect argued against the team using our project management tool(Pivotal) any chance he could get. Retrospectives, standups, and every interaction ended up being toxic. The CEO, who is not a tech person, unfortunately doesn't see the that the architect is a big reason why the last 4 full-time employees left.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful

Inspire Fitness Response

Marketing Manager

I am truly sorry that things didn’t work out for you here at Inspire Fitness. Thank you for bringing up some of the changes that have taken place since you left the team, namely the move from Go to Clojure. The move from Go to Clojure is more of a business decision than a technical one. Our backend devs have been working really hard to both maintain and improve the existing Go codebase. Between a long, bug ridden migration process and slow delivery of new API endpoints holding up every other project it was apparent that a change had to be made. The team was working really hard but the devs weren’t able to make adequate progress. With deadlines looming and a new senior developer added to the team (with more Go experience than Clojure) we looked at our options and determined that we could deliver much faster working in Clojure. Not only have we been delivering endpoints much faster, we put CI/CD in place so every endpoint is covered by integration tests, tested with CircleCI, and automatically deployed to a beta environment. I think you’d be happy with the system we have in place now on the backend. Although our team at Inspire Fitness was not a good fit for you I have no doubt that you will find a place where you are able to do your best work. Best of luck with your future endeavors. Sincerely, Daniel Glauser - Software Architect/Dev Manager

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    KEY NOT FOUND: jobLine.self_employ-former

Quick Synopsis

Oct 5, 2020 - Nursing in Orange, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

great place to work, great management

Cons

working at any start-up is hard

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Competent tech team, incompetent ownership

May 14, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Tech team was managed well and got along. Very low stress job, there were no deadlines of sprints while I was employed.

Cons

Ownership of this company is stuck in the draconian era. They didn't even give their employees health insurance until the beginning of 2021... How cheap can you be... Not only are the benefits below market standard the pay is as well. The backend team is writing Clojure which luckily is so rare people will take an underpaying job just to work with the language.. It's honestly amazing how large the company has grown with how incompetent upper management is. Corporate likes to micromanage to an insane degree as well which is why they want senior positions "hired near hq" so that the owner can micromanage even more.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Inspire Fitness.