Instacart - It Really Was Too Good to Be True | Glassdoor

"It Really Was Too Good to Be True"

Current Freelancer - Personal Shopper in Denver, CO

I have been working at Instacart for less than a year

Pros

Contribute to the making of your own schedule (they make the schedule, you do not) NSA (No strings attached) - If you leave just one, thin dangling string attached, you can make a little cash. Good for filling in gaps between employment or as a 3rd job.

Cons

No support from management No feedback on questions submitted to city manager Customer care number is your second and only lifeline and it does not function well Extremely high cost to work for Instacart, compounded when you factor in gas, taxes, time, wear and tear Inconsistent business practices Not reliable income - one week you work 70 hours and the next you are scheduled for 15 hours. Asked to drive to... the office without pay or reasonable notice to pick up promotional items I have found that the customer is the only person in this whole process I can rely on for information. I am not sure what the city managers actually do other than conduct hiring sessions because I send them emails on important matters and only about half of them are answered. (I get the feeling that if the city manager feels uncomfortable answering a question he will avoid answering entirely.) I called the customer care number once and was placed on hold for ten minutes so I hung up and never tried to use it again. I can care for the customer quite well on my own, which is something Instacart takes for granted. this would be pretty much heaven, like working at Google if the business practices were consistent and the shoppers were respected and supported in every way shape or form while on the job. The other thing I find super creepy is that the Instacart app seems to be poking around and demands that I enable my privacy services even when I am not on shift. What if I just want to set my schedule availability or see if there are any extra shifts to be had? I will rest assured that it's not a big deal but the whole GPS tracking thing is super invasive for a contractor/vendor relationship, anyway. I like when Domino's pizza tracker's little icon shows me where my pizza is but now that I am tracked myself, I don't like it. It makes me feel like a robot in some weird, insensitive robot world. Rambling...sorry. My husband has pointed out a huge problem with Instacart, after an issue with an order. How does Instacart know they are not being robbed by the customer ordering the groceries? They don't and they don't care. They refund the customer and you take the hit on the "scoreboard". Your schedule the following week is reduced without explanation. I know I am going to make mistakes but when I find out what I did wrong, I try very hard not to repeat it and to improve. Responses to "issues" that pop up to greet you in the app fly off somewhere into outer space. Don't expect a response because you probably won't get one and when you do, it will only be in the form of some intricately calculated deduction to your "shopper score". If you email the city manager, you probably shouldn't be too anxious to get an explanation. If you get one, it will be vague, irritating and not helpful. i made killer money in the beginning but they keep doing mass hirings and you feel the effects of it each time they do. You have a bunch of rogue shoppers who are not trained and not supported and it results in dropping off replacement items to people who are already pissed off. Today they announced their spiffy new pay schedule, which pays some mysterious pickers (who may or may not be Instacart employees, we have no formal answer on that just yet) .30 per item to pick the order that will go to an actual Instacart shopper who is now just going to drop the item off. For your trouble as a driver, you get $4 for delivery and $4 for going to the store. They took away the .30 that they used to give you for the items and also are making you fork over half of your tips. Obviously, I want to be a picker because you can slam and jam thru those orders in the warmth and comfort of a Whole Foods and make a good $30 per hour. While the driver has to brave rush hour traffic on icy Colorado roads, uses up gas and has to virtually teleport to the customer's house quickly enough to make about $4 an hour after gas. IF IF IF IF IF you get a tip, you have to give half of it to that mysterious person in the store who picked your order (and probably EFFED it up, an act for which you will take a hit on your shopper score). How does that work? Do you want me to go back to the store and rip my five dollar bill in half? Let me guess, you do and you're not paying for the gas to get there either, are you? I was so happy with IC in the beginning and would have probably been one to publish one of those nice, gushy reviews about how nice it is to be my own boss but my pink bubble has burst and I am, just like that other guy, an adult making $4 an hour running a grocery business out of my car. Watch your pay and tips judiciously on the website. I found some money missing, emailed the city manager and never received a response. (The funds were mysteriously reduced after I checked my pay and tips for the order!) Are they skimming off the top of the tips? I would really, really, really hate to think so.

Advice to Management

I am not going to waste my time commenting in this section.

Instacart2014-11-20
  1. "Pretty good"

Current Freelancer - Shopper in Austin, TX

I have been working at Instacart for less than a year

Pros

Calm schedule with lots of hours to pick up

Cons

Busy days are boring days. Too many batches fill the fridges

Instacart2019-11-05
  2. "Good gig"

Former Freelancer - Full Service Shopper in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Instacart for more than a year

Pros

flexibility and opportunity to make income

Cons

being on your own is not for everybody and you have to manage your own costs, company overstates how much you can make but does downplay downsides.

Instacart2019-12-05

Discover more reviews about Instacart.