Institute of Reading Development - Very disappointing - EC | Glassdoor

"Very disappointing - EC"

Former Employee - Enrollment Coordinator

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

They do have reading programs, so that’s something. They’ve invested a lot of time in their scripts, so that’s something.

Cons

All of the negative reviews are accurate. The technology is awful, slow, glitchy, and prone to breaking. They’ll micro manage you to the point where it’s nauseating. They’ll score you based on number of callers whose info you’ve capture, however, they’ll penalize you when their tech breaks down, when the caller hangs up, when the call never came through, when you get a butt dial, when you reject a call 3 minutes before the end of your shift. You get the idea. Numbers, not quality. Their marketing material leaves parents guessing. Many callers assume the course is free. Many callers are from low income areas and it’s pretty sad when they have a child that’s clearly struggling, but they can’t enroll them. They do offer scholarships in select areas, so that’s something. The script is absurdly long. I’m talking about 5 pages here. A lot of the verbiage is plain old hype and buzz words, which is often painfully obvious to the callers. You should expect calls with kids screaming in your ears and from people who are generally going about their day not expecting your 5 page sales script. If the caller doesn’t speak English, guess what? They expect you to throw that 5 page script at them anyway. At a minimum, get all of their personal details. Before long you’ll have a finely attuned ear for accents.

Institute of Reading Development2018-04-04

"Rewarding & Intense Summer Job"

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Personally, I loved working for IRD. Their employees were exceptionally friendly, and I found that all my answers and problems were solved quickly. This is extremely important as teaching days can be hectic. My summer flew by but I received many smiles, hugs, and fist bumps which made the stress worth it. If you have a passion for teaching and want experience in the classroom, this is a great job.

Cons

There may be a lot of driving involved, which can be stressful. I drove over an hour every teaching day; however, I was compensated after the 45 min. mark. I would have preferred to drive less and that was the worst part of the job for me.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed my time with the Institute of Reading Development. In my experience, the management does a great job of caring for its teachers and therefore its students. I only wish I could have stayed on longer!

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-24
  2. "Teacher - Summer Reading Classes"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with children and teaching classes designed to instill a genuine love of reading. A good summer job overall.

Cons

Actual pay and working hours were somewhat unpredictable as it depended on which classes filled up.

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-28

Discover more reviews about Institute of Reading Development.