Institute of Reading Development - Terminated with no warning and for reasons that did not exist | Glassdoor

"Terminated with no warning and for reasons that did not exist"

Former Employee - Reading Instructor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was an ideal position while it lasted but turned out to be just awful.

Cons

I was terminated from my position with this company. After several months and several email attempts to get written reason for why I was terminated, I was finally given a response only to find that the reasons they terminated me was because of a question I asked. I had asked to clarify information on their dress code and at what point that dress code is in effect. In her email, I was told that I had asked to adhere... to the dress code which is in no way true. In other words, they terminated me over a miscommunication that was faulted on their end without try to clarify or ask me questions on the issue. It took four attempts at reaching out over the span of three months to get a response. Additionally, when I was terminated, the staff member was late to that meeting but cited my three minute tardiness as another reason for termination when she was five minutes late to our meeting. Seems unprofessional to hold new hires at a higher standard than high up, established employees. This cause for termination cost me $700 as I was moving for the position. I am a soon-to-be graduate student and as you can imagine, $700 can go a long way as opposed to literally wasting it because I was given a position and then was terminated with no notice for reasons that were not even accurate.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees. Ask first, give warnings, then termination. Terrible, TERRIBLE place to work if this is how you treat people. I minored in organizational communication in undergraduate studies and by textbook definition, you have a lot of learning to do.

Institute of Reading Development2018-07-15

"Rewarding & Intense Summer Job"

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Personally, I loved working for IRD. Their employees were exceptionally friendly, and I found that all my answers and problems were solved quickly. This is extremely important as teaching days can be hectic. My summer flew by but I received many smiles, hugs, and fist bumps which made the stress worth it. If you have a passion for teaching and want experience in the classroom, this is a great job.

Cons

There may be a lot of driving involved, which can be stressful. I drove over an hour every teaching day; however, I was compensated after the 45 min. mark. I would have preferred to drive less and that was the worst part of the job for me.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed my time with the Institute of Reading Development. In my experience, the management does a great job of caring for its teachers and therefore its students. I only wish I could have stayed on longer!

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-24
  2. "Teacher - Summer Reading Classes"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with children and teaching classes designed to instill a genuine love of reading. A good summer job overall.

Cons

Actual pay and working hours were somewhat unpredictable as it depended on which classes filled up.

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-28

Discover more reviews about Institute of Reading Development.