Institute of Reading Development - Decent Place but Not Accommodating | Glassdoor

"Decent Place but Not Accommodating"

Former Employee - Teacher in Miami, FL

I worked at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

they pay decently, give you a lot of work, and are friendly for the most part. Also, the interview and training is kind of scary at first but it really takes you out of your shell and teaches you a lot of beneficial skills.

Cons

The people are... I don't even know how to phrase this, but the people are too happy. It sounds weird, but that's the only accurate way I can think of phrasing that. They expect you to be super, overly happy, but ALL THE TIME. It's kind of like a cult. The training is long and can be embarrassing if you're shy, and is fast paced. They make you write down and turn in ridiculous amounts of data - miles, etc (though... that is for purposes of reimbursement to the employee, at a set rate per mile). It can be a lot of work at time; if you're juggling two jobs, you should probably get ready to either pick one, or just fully dedicate yourself to both. The biggest con, personally, is that they can be cold in their fake willingness to accommodate you. They act like they are sympa/empathetic if you're experiencing some really life-changing issues, but you can feel that they aren't, and it shows in their attitudes with you, as well as many other aspects of your employment. You are freelance teaching, lugging really heavy books to and fro classroom to car and back, there are only three levels of stairs at times or the parking is miles away and you're carrying your entire day's worth of classes books. You have to teach strictly their curriculum and are unable to add anything or change that which doesn't work; why are they hiring experienced teachers or those with higher-education if they do not want our input? The hours can be grueling, especially with the dress code, so dress smart - especially with shoes! This is not to say the learning experience isn't beneficial, just that it can be difficult at times.

Advice to Management

Please be more accommodating to people experiencing issues beyond their control. Other than that, you guys are awesome, and I really do miss working with you.

Institute of Reading Development2018-07-16

"Rewarding & Intense Summer Job"

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Personally, I loved working for IRD. Their employees were exceptionally friendly, and I found that all my answers and problems were solved quickly. This is extremely important as teaching days can be hectic. My summer flew by but I received many smiles, hugs, and fist bumps which made the stress worth it. If you have a passion for teaching and want experience in the classroom, this is a great job.

Cons

There may be a lot of driving involved, which can be stressful. I drove over an hour every teaching day; however, I was compensated after the 45 min. mark. I would have preferred to drive less and that was the worst part of the job for me.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed my time with the Institute of Reading Development. In my experience, the management does a great job of caring for its teachers and therefore its students. I only wish I could have stayed on longer!

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-24
  2. "Teacher - Summer Reading Classes"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with children and teaching classes designed to instill a genuine love of reading. A good summer job overall.

Cons

Actual pay and working hours were somewhat unpredictable as it depended on which classes filled up.

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-28

Discover more reviews about Institute of Reading Development.