Institute of Reading Development - Teacher Review | Glassdoor

"Teacher Review"

Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at Institute of Reading Development for more than a year

Pros

You will get to teach a lot of wonderful kids. You will have a lot of autonomy in the classroom; the lesson plans are very detailed and cover every minute of class, but no one's standing over you preventing you from customizing them.

Cons

Training doesn't really translate well into classroom performance--doing a mock lesson for 5 peers on a computer monitor is very different than teaching an actual class. I found teaching the actual class easier than the training, which really measures your abilities as an actor more than as a teacher. The training is helpful for a newcomer, but not a good means for assessing teachers. Also, a lot depends on the... particular people you work with at IRD; I taught for them 2 years, and my supervisor the first year was great, the second year not so great.

Institute of Reading Development2018-08-03

"Rewarding & Intense Summer Job"

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Personally, I loved working for IRD. Their employees were exceptionally friendly, and I found that all my answers and problems were solved quickly. This is extremely important as teaching days can be hectic. My summer flew by but I received many smiles, hugs, and fist bumps which made the stress worth it. If you have a passion for teaching and want experience in the classroom, this is a great job.

Cons

There may be a lot of driving involved, which can be stressful. I drove over an hour every teaching day; however, I was compensated after the 45 min. mark. I would have preferred to drive less and that was the worst part of the job for me.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed my time with the Institute of Reading Development. In my experience, the management does a great job of caring for its teachers and therefore its students. I only wish I could have stayed on longer!

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-24
  2. "Teacher - Summer Reading Classes"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with children and teaching classes designed to instill a genuine love of reading. A good summer job overall.

Cons

Actual pay and working hours were somewhat unpredictable as it depended on which classes filled up.

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-28

Discover more reviews about Institute of Reading Development.