Institute of Reading Development - Creepy and cultish | Glassdoor

"Creepy and cultish"

Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free books as part of training

Cons

The staff and supervisors here are all extremely rigid and creepy. They expect you to agree with every single aspect of the curriculum and do not accept any independent thinking or new insights. Training (online video chats where trainees have to roleplay teaching and are critiqued in front of their colleagues) is cringe-inducing and overly strict. This company is not looking to develop or grow. It is stuck in... its cultish ways and is just looking for new recruits to bully into submission. Employees are completely disposable to them. If you genuinely want to teach or help children, seek out a nonprofit or school program. This company only cares about profit.

Advice to Management

Stop

Institute of Reading Development2019-06-28
  1. "Rewarding & Intense Summer Job"

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Personally, I loved working for IRD. Their employees were exceptionally friendly, and I found that all my answers and problems were solved quickly. This is extremely important as teaching days can be hectic. My summer flew by but I received many smiles, hugs, and fist bumps which made the stress worth it. If you have a passion for teaching and want experience in the classroom, this is a great job.

Cons

There may be a lot of driving involved, which can be stressful. I drove over an hour every teaching day; however, I was compensated after the 45 min. mark. I would have preferred to drive less and that was the worst part of the job for me.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed my time with the Institute of Reading Development. In my experience, the management does a great job of caring for its teachers and therefore its students. I only wish I could have stayed on longer!

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-24
  2. "Teacher - Summer Reading Classes"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with children and teaching classes designed to instill a genuine love of reading. A good summer job overall.

Cons

Actual pay and working hours were somewhat unpredictable as it depended on which classes filled up.

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-28

Discover more reviews about Institute of Reading Development.