Institute of Reading Development - Great for teachers who want to hone their craft | Glassdoor
  1. "Great for teachers who want to hone their craft"

Former Contractor - Reading Instructor in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Institute of Reading Development for less than a year

Pros

Reimbursement of any and all supplies or costs, paid training, frequent 1:1 time with supervisor, plenty of support from management, training from the comfort of your home, marketable experience. All of the supervisors are extremely passionate about their jobs, and frequently remind you about why you love reading and why this job is meaningful. I definitely felt that I made a difference in the lives of the majority... of my students.

Cons

Transporting materials was the most frustrating part of the job, very easy to burn out, lessons were scripts, main online tool crashes often, good internet is a must, limited/no contact with other teachers in the area: very isolating. If you feel that teaching is not your niche, this job will be nerve-wracking.

Advice to Management

Enact a support system for fellow teachers as a way to cope with the stress of the job. Also, use a stronger server for your teacher management system. 5 out of the 8 weeks I was teaching, some part of the system was non-functional.

Institute of Reading Development2015-09-14

"Rewarding & Intense Summer Job"

Current Employee - Summer Reading Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Institute of Reading Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Personally, I loved working for IRD. Their employees were exceptionally friendly, and I found that all my answers and problems were solved quickly. This is extremely important as teaching days can be hectic. My summer flew by but I received many smiles, hugs, and fist bumps which made the stress worth it. If you have a passion for teaching and want experience in the classroom, this is a great job.

Cons

There may be a lot of driving involved, which can be stressful. I drove over an hour every teaching day; however, I was compensated after the 45 min. mark. I would have preferred to drive less and that was the worst part of the job for me.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed my time with the Institute of Reading Development. In my experience, the management does a great job of caring for its teachers and therefore its students. I only wish I could have stayed on longer!

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-24
  2. "Teacher - Summer Reading Classes"

I worked at Institute of Reading Development part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with children and teaching classes designed to instill a genuine love of reading. A good summer job overall.

Cons

Actual pay and working hours were somewhat unpredictable as it depended on which classes filled up.

Institute of Reading Development2019-10-28

Discover more reviews about Institute of Reading Development.