Integra Telecom - Great coworkers, decent products, questionable future | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Integra Telecom

"Great coworkers, decent products, questionable future"

Current Employee - Account Executive
Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great People
Best Equipment Sales in the business
Relaxed Casual dress - Jeans are great when you don't have to visit a customer

Cons

Installation is terrible - 45 days for an analog line
Compensation plan changes regularly - So far in 2013 there have been four major changes to compensation
Leadership Changes - The leaders in place now are pretty decent on an organizational level, but the exodus of senior leaders with operational experience is of concern
Opp for advancement - Portland or Denver only, regional markets being phased out

Advice to Management

Retain top talent, listen to employees and involve them in change, hire more people

Other Employee Reviews for Integra Telecom

"At one time a great company. Now struggling to find their way."

Current Employee - Channel Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Channel Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great industry. Excellent Fiber Network. Full suite of products and good footprint/coverage areas.

Cons

Overall Leadership is extremely poor. Recent Virtual Centralization of workforce failed. New idea to physically centralize is an unproven and moves the company further away from what made them successful to begin with - Local Customer Support and Local Service.

Advice to Management

Start treating employees like they are valuable and not just easily replaceable parts in your machine. Remember, great companies have great employees and treat their employees as good or better than they treat their customers.

"Exhaustion: A maddening, discouraging, trying, unfair yet reassuring, rewarding and hopeful environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Integra Telecom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Just give us a roadmap, [real] mission and year-to-year (at the least) goals, and we'll get there. Integra has potential.

Cons

Lack of consistent, clear and pronounced strategic direction from the executive team. Also, one's ability to provide free-flowing, constructive feedback is challenged (hence the anonymous post).

Advice to Management

Is it ever a wonder why the following are happening @ Integra:
    - Slow growing sales
    - More-than-reported customer churn
    - High employee turnover (specifically sales)
    - Poor employee morale

Wth the most recent change in names and faces, a deep separation has evolved between management (mostly upper) and the employees (mostly individual contributors). Changes are seemingly made without much thought, strategic alignment (assuming Company strategies are identified, determined and delivered), or announcement. Executive team, let your employees help. By that, I don't mean your executive team or those that make-up the upper-management or director-level group; I'm talking about your front-line employees; the most tenured segment in Integra. They're smart, insightful, hardworking and devoted to a greater cause.

The most recent structural changes at Integra have occured without the following: a stated strategic purpose or the input from the frontline, or first-line management. Why? Why is it that those dedicated to providing the highest level of customer statisfaction would be ignored or uninformed? Why is it believed that only those in a Director level can make an educated decision at Integra? Why does our mission statement imply we guage our level of service by staying in touch with our customers but we never--and I mean never--seek their advice in how we should operate, let alone proactively collect their feedback regarding our service?

Integra, let your employees help you grow up. Listen. Pick a strategy (just one) and determine short and long term objectives to get there. Then, communicate it. Not just to those most trustworthy (i.e. the executive team) but to the entire employee base. Create excitement and let us join efforts to enable sucess.

In addition to the above, here are a couple of recommendations:

Sales: Align our strategy to the customer, not segment. Stop the harrassment between channels and start working collaberatively together by creating complementary (not competing) customer-centric goals (aligned with the Company objectives, assuming they are defined). The current inter-channel activity has contributed toward one of the worst environments in the Company. It's easy to correct, though. Start by getting Sales, HR, Marketing, and Legal together to create a cohesive and committed plan.

Repair: How can one of the least successful departments be viewed as the least problematic? The lack of recent success in this department has directly led to failure in our other groups: Call Center and Customer Account Mgmt (just to mention two). Nonresponsiveness or impolite behavior from these customer-facing representatives provides an intolerable glimpse into the future of customer retention issues the Company will experience if not immediately corrected.

IT, IT...IT: The majority of Furtune 100 companies say their IT departments are 'support' functions. That means they take a back seat to the business and are not decision-making authorites for the company's strategic direction. We do not need you to step-up, prevent, hamper or hinder our success. We do not need another ill-stated or half-completed project masked by the words sprint, phase or iteration. Step aside and get behind the business.

What do you say, Executive Team, can we do it? Can we join together for the greater good and bring the Company back around to where it should be? I think so.