Integral Group - Achieve career excellence, and positive environmental and social impact through your work, every day. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Integral Group

"Achieve career excellence, and positive environmental and social impact through your work, every day."

Current Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA

Pros

Net Zero Energy building design expertise
collaborative and integrative design environment
truly sustainable buildings
challenging the status quo on every project
opportunity for high impact, no matter what level you're at
awesome projects and clients
career advancement and responsibility - - no barriers to growth
great team and people - fun place to work
mentors at every turn, amazing education opportunities

Cons

IT infrastructure could be a bit better (computers and software)
long hours when project deadlines approach; difficult to balance work and personal life in these situations

Advice to Management

keep making strategic long term hires
keep inspiring staff and educating them about the difference they're making
I love the monthly staff meetings and company updates, keep it up

Feb 23, 2016 – Recruiting Leader

thanks so much for this! we're definitely striving for more balance & we've added a ton of support & hires & IT & educational benefits, hope it's all making a lot of positive difference for you! ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Integral Group

1. "The vision and quality of projects at Integral Group are what make me excited to come in to work and get things done."

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Oakland, CA

Pros

Best vision of any engineering company I know of. The leadership is genuinely guided by a compelling vision for the future based on a deep understanding of the crises facing our society. This is not a company run by profit motive, this is a company that is fueled *from the top* by a deep passion for making the world a better place. Number one reason why I work here.

Innovation is encouraged. There is a looseness in structure that allows motivated people to come up with their own ideas for how to do things and run with them. An individual has the potential to take initiative and Make Things Happen.

Every project is unique and exciting. Nothing is cookie cutter here, no designs are cut n paste. "Rule of Thumb" is a dirty word. Every project is challenging and stimulating.

There is a sense of camaraderie that comes from working on interesting work and always pushing boundaries. Some of my best friends are my coworkers here. There are some amazing, creepy-smart, passionate people here, and I love working with them.

Office drama is very low. People are here to get work done.

Cons

The aforementioned looseness in structure can make efficient workflows difficult and frustrating to attain. Seat of your pants engineering can grind you down and burn you out.

The seat of your pants culture here can make it difficult for new ideas or workflows to get implemented. Often good ideas get cast to the side during crunch time. It's easy to propose and come up with new ideas: the act of making those changes stick isn't trivial. This can be very frustrating and make people feel like their opinions and/or feedback aren't being respected.

In the same way that the company is driven by vision and passion instead of profit, benefits and compensation don't take a first-row seat here (although they're not terrible). People are motivated to work here for the innovation and the vision, not for the benefit package.

Project-focused, not people-focused. This backfires - project work suffers because of the lack of focus on people.

Advice to Management

Attention paid to cultivating a particular, specific, and compelling company culture. The current culture isn't weak, but it's not intentional. It's organic. The vision for the work the company does is strong and clear: the vision for the culture of how those awesome projects are carried out is lacking. I'm talking about something very focused on people, and it's *people* who make or break a company. It's not clear, based on actions, that management understands this fully.

I don't think anyone here now has the time to pull this off, regardless of if anyone has the skill/knowledge to do so (maybe).

Regardless of the challenges of _how_ to make this happen (just details, right?), the challenge is to do this with authenticity. Especially here, we'll smell corporate bs a mile away and it'll backfire. PR gimmicks don't work in 2012 and it would be a shame to see those attempted.

Feb 23, 2016 – Recruiting Leader

Thanks so much for this! I hope you've gotten very involved with planning - please get in touch with Tiffany in HR if you're not already, it seems like you have a ton of wisdom and insight to share ... More

"Opportunity for the driven"

I have been working at Integral Group full-time

Pros

Integral Group is a firm that will take you as far as you want to go, but growth is independently driven. Continuing education is funded and you are regularly exposed to new opportunities. You will grow quickly here if you are driven.

This firm is taking big steps every year.
    Great coworkers.
    Best MEP firm in the bay-area to work for.

Cons

Do not expect to have your hand held. Those who rely on others to assign them work or give them discrete one-off tasks often end up feeling lost or forgotten.

Advice to Management

Take on less, and focus more on your employees. Integral Group is filled with many bright engineers / designers. Recognize some people require different levels of management. Reward those who take ownership.

Nov 18, 2016 – Manager, People Department

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback, and agree that our company, like many in our industry, is a very fast-paced and exciting environment. There are many opportunities for growth ... More