Intel Corporation - Stay away from manufacturing | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Intel Corporation

"Stay away from manufacturing"

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Hillsboro, OR
Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Benefits are equivalent or better to what you'd find somewhere else and the cost of living is lower.

Cons

I'm posting this review to help new Ph.D job seekers avoid the situation I found after I joined Intel as a process engineer. First, most of what they tell you at the job interview is incorrect. Anyone receiving a completely honest picture of the job would likely turn it down, so a lot of sugar coating occurs.

After you show up, things change. 24x7 on call for months on end. Boring repetitive work. Insulting and downright rude management. What's not to like?

You'll also find that those skills you fought so hard for in graduate school aren't even required and someone with much less schooling could do exactly the same thing. Most of the work involves tracking, copying and pasting. These are low level engineering jobs, but internal policy requires that they be filled with recent graduates holding advanced degrees. Many people leave after a year or two, and Intel considers this to be the cost of doing business. The general attitude is "shut up and get back to work or get out."

People in the software side of the business seem to be genuinely happy and well treated. Its a large company and great places to work do exist. Just stay away from the manufacturing and process development work.

Advice to Management

"Great place to work" is a wonderful slogan. Putting posters up on the wall does not make it true.

Other Employee Reviews for Intel Corporation

"Tough Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Finance Analyst in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Analyst in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Smart people
    Ability to work from home
    Ability to design own career path
    Competitive salary and benefits
    Exciting product lines

Cons

Very tough culture
    Continue to lay work on employees, stretching beyond limits
    Significant opportunity for burn out
    Biased review process

2. "It is hard work, but I love the pride I feel because of the cutting edge technology"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

It is a leader in its field, and is constantly innovating; it values the environment and has vast community outreach programs; I derive pride from the fact that we are 2- 4 years ahead of our competitors in process technology because of the hard work that we do.

Cons

Very small office cubicles, dull office environment that projects a feeling of miserliness on the part of the company

Advice to Management

Spend more on making the work place brighter, more cheerful; offer more freebies like Google and facebook, such as free food, on-site daycare, game rooms, pools, etc