Intel Corporation - Internship experience was terrible | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Intel Corporation

"Internship experience was terrible"

Former Intern - Technical Intern in Santa Clara, CA
Former Intern - Technical Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Good infrastructure
2) Work culture is good - everybody is friendly and will take time to help you out

Cons

The internship experience was terrible. My manager did not spend time to scope my project for the summer. When I joined, he tells me that I am to make an stand-alone GUI application that interfaces with Intel's SAP database and performs certain calculations. Three weeks into the internship, he tells me that Intel already has such an application and I would only have to modify it slightly to suit the team's needs. I told him that the application is protected by copyright laws, and he was like don't be such a goody two shoes. I refused and he was quite angry with me. I kept developing my own application and reached a point where I could interface with the SAP database. I did not know how to work with SAP and told my manager about this. I told him that the training for SAP could cost around 20,000 dollars and he told me to forget about it. This is the sixth week of a twelve week internship. With that, I had a half-completed application and a manager who was least interested in the project. I spent the second half of the internship playing pool with other interns who were in a similar situation.
Put simply, if you are a person with no formidable experience on your resume, go for Intel. If you do have serious stuff on your resume and have other offers, AVOID INTEL!!!!

Advice to Management

Make sure that the project of interns are well-defined. Ask them to make a presentation at the end of the internship that would be shown to the senior management. This way, even the direct managers would take an interest in the intern's projects.

Other Employee Reviews for Intel Corporation

1. "Excellent company to work for unless you are stuck with an egotistical manager"

Current Employee - Director in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Director in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great executive management; trying to improve the work environment; cash cow and a solid company

Cons

hesitant to weed out egotistical VPs who manage through intimidation; good old boys network prevalent; nepotism abounds; below market compensation

Advice to Management

Walk the talk; folks are afraid to speak due to retribution; take a hard look at MCM-1 and weed out those who use intimidation and fear to manage

2. "Very tough place to work, but world-class technology"

Former Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

world class engineering talent in areas of silicon design & manufacturing
    great place to work as a 1st job
    have a process for everything, so you'll learn the "Big Company Way' to do things
    lots of very experienced employees, so you can learn a lot from others

Cons

have a process for everything
    highly structured, hierarchical organization and culture
    impossible to have any influence if you've worked there less than 5 years
    not a "nice" place to work - "constructive confrontation" = your boss gets to berate you and you have to sit and listen...