Intel Corporation - best company i worked for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Intel Corporation

"best company i worked for"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Folsom, CA
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Folsom, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great growth opportunities. great environment to learn in. meritocracy.

Cons

beware downsizing. base salary not the greatest. not a place to become complacent

Other Employee Reviews for Intel Corporation

"Great Company, Unsatisfactory Job"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are working for a winning company. A company that both is the leader in what it does, and does it well. They are also a very charitable company, and for the most part (MOST part) treat their employees well. Salary is good, benefits are VERY good. Our campus had a nice commissary (though I think they will slowly kill all the employees with the giant portion sizes) and you rarely wanted to go out to lunch.

If you are in the right job, it's a GREAT job. If you have an opportunity to look here, you SHOULD look into it.

I do honestly got the feeling the company actually CARED about us.. well not on an individual basis... that would be ridiculous... but as a collective. I really cannot say that about many companies, and if it weren't for the downsides of my job, it would have pained me to leave.

Cons

Cons are always wordier: human nature.

There were many cons for me, and unfortunately they eventually outweighed the pros. Again, if you are looking for a job at Intel, I wouldn't discourage you from looking. Just be aware when you get there it has the same kinds of problems ALL big companies have. One in particular stands out: Meetings, meetings, meetings and more meetings. And usually meetings that waste a lot of time; the culture has a greater emphasis on social correctness and five minutes of "chit-chat" than it does work, and I do have an issue with that. Particularly when you spend a good hour on a meeting that can get done in 20 minutes.

I also worked some ungodly hours on some issues for customers who decided a month or two later "Oh, you fixed that? It really wasn't that important." And unless you are a social butterfly (I'm not) finding a new job isn't that easy.

I think your job at Intel is going to only be as successful as your team's collective desire and ability to win. People are generally risk-averse and like job security. It pained me to watch the young interns sitting next to me love their jobs and do so well on their team, while mine settled for mediocrity and my own mind started to stagnate because it was being stressed without being appropriately challenged. I worked with good people who were discouraged and felt powerless, and I was turning into one of them. Once I recognized this, I waited for the right opportunity to leave and did so.

Your manager can change in the blink of an eye. This can be useful, but it's not great for relationship-building/team-building.

Not everyone is always promoted from within. Managers are more concerned with how they look when promoting someone, as opposed to promoting the people who can do the job.

But in the end... it's the stress of the job that'll do you in, combined with the ridiculous rating system. It's too easy to get a "Meets Expectations" regardless of whether you are working your tail off and achieving, or slacking because you've been there too long and are burned out, and need a BETTER challenge.

Advice to Management

Management, for the most part, your company really is okay... I'd almost hate to say anything for fear I might steer you in the wrong direction.

The way employees are rated and reviewed **is** demotivating, and it **will** bite you in the long-term. If you have 50% of the best employees in a profession, and even if they are rated in the top 50% of the employees of your company, 70% of that 50% are still going to be upset with their "Meets Expectations" rating. Is that what you REALLY want? Foster appropriate competition and the rest comes naturally.

Recently "faster, faster, faster" bit you on Cougar Point. Moore's Law applies to technology; NOT people. People burn out. Flatter hierarchies, fewer managers and more worker-bees at all levels are what is needed.

2. "SQE"

Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, open minded people for risk taking tasks

Cons

This is a great place to work, but a little slow paced giant.

Advice to Management

none none none none none none none none