Intel Corporation - Software Development Internship | Glassdoor

"Software Development Internship"

Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Hillsboro, OR
Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great people to work with
-Great experience with different technologies

Cons

-Driving to Hillsboro from Portland can be a pain, but working from home is possible

Other Employee Reviews for Intel Corporation

"11+ years of Intel experience. Not a bad place to work, but can become repetitive and boring."

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Rio Rancho, NM
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Rio Rancho, NM

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Compensation is good if you negotiate after receiving a job offer, I did. Otherwise they will lowball you and the raises stink once you are in the door.

* Time off (work/life balance) at my current location is excellent. But when I worked at R&D in Oregon, work/life balance is non-existent. They expect you to work 24/7/365 over there for the same amount of pay.

Cons

* You will not learn anything new, it quickly becomes boring. After a 5 year departure from Intel (I acquired a ton of experience and new knowledge elsewhere), I rehired at Intel but have learned nothing new in the past 8 years! Management says that we are responsible for our own training, but every time I ask for additional training (vendor training, temporary job assignments within the building), I'm rejected due to costs. You will be pigeon holed in your current position forever unless you apply for an internal transfer, there are no longer any promotions. Why hold back ambitious employees from temporarily training elsewhere to acquire new skill sets? No need to change jobs completely. Invest in your motivated employees.

* Bonuses are based on corporate performance. Even the lame/lazy employees receive the same bonus as you do. They need to provide some incentive and make bonuses based on individual merit. Individual raises used to reflect performance, but now are below standard. It's disheartening to see poor performers compensated at the same rate as you are.

* Downsize the poor performers. For some reason, Intel will easily lay off good and bad technicians during slow periods, but they will leave horrible management and engineering intact. You will encounter lots of useless management/engineering who do nothing but bring morale down. My awful department manager has chased away all of my good coworkers to other divisions while retaining the horrible performers. Uggh!! They could easily lay off 30% of the workforce (poor performers) and nobody would notice.

Advice to Management

I appreciate it very much that the new CEO wants to restructure the company to meet the needs of the consumer. Not only is he going to realign employees to high priority projects (so he says), but he also needs to retain and motivate his current high performing employees. Otherwise nothing will change, and it hasn't for the past 16 years since I started there!

2. "Intel job"

Current Intern - Hardware in Portland, OR
    Current Intern - Hardware in Portland, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a huge group, so many opportunities to move around within the company. The company does diverse work so it can be good.

Cons

Having a big size can also be a very bad thing. You'll probably work on something very very specific. As I said this can be good or bad

Advice to Management

The company does not need this much employees. Cut down on some and rather raise the salary of those who are competitive