Intel Corporation - Great company to work for - take good care of the employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Intel Corporation

"Great company to work for - take good care of the employees"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people. Great technologies. Great twice a year bonus. Great benefits. I enjoyed my time working there.

Cons

None, great place to work.

Other Employee Reviews for Intel Corporation

1. "Great company with great people and products"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Intel pays a competitive wage, offers competitive benefits and is filled with great, intelligent, dedicated people. Top level management is excellent. The 8-week paid sabbatical for all employees for each 7 years of service is wonderful.

Cons

Like any large company, there is some incompetence, negligence and corruption in small pockets throughout the company. It exists among individual contributors and first line and middle management. In my experience, Human Resources has mostly not been supportive of individual employees in disputes with management. I witnessed about 10 HR investigations in 15 years and don't recall a single one ending in favor of the employee though several of them should have. HR investigations are not thorough or objective and they are not forthcoming with employees about how the investigation process works even when asked direct questions.

Advice to Management

Ensure honesty, fairness, thoroughness and objectivity in all things. Intel prides itself on its business ethics but there have been pockets of disease internally that have been allowed to exist for far too long. I was told in the early part of my career that HR used to have "employee advocates". That function may be needed as the current HR processes are not working as they should.

"Performance is based of manager and not on performance"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Workspace, pay, benefits, sabbatical, bonuses, truly diversified in acceptance of lifestyle

Cons

Politics, favoritism, ignorant management, review system,

Advice to Management

Open your eyes snd change. The people that work for you will eventually bring you down. Our group went through supervisors like butter. Reviews were written by employee, then submitted to engineering group by supervisor, then they decided on performance, then results provided support for raise and/or advancement. That is where the problem is. First four years I received massive performance based review increases and advancement. I always shined in my reviews. Then changed to new manager and all went downhill. Even though my review was identical to the previous year, it started going downhill I valuation. Favoritism ruled. A team mate that had been caught timeclock cheating was getting massive rating and grade advancements. He was a "lady killer".

I was doing so much extra for the entire manufacturing organization all over the world and nothing t show for it. I was initially getting awards every quarterly meeting. Changed to new manager and nothing... The managers (actually supervisors) actually submit and control those awards.

Everyone at intel that was there over 5 years know the same thing on the manufacturing floor. You get to a plateau and then the make up stupid stuff that tries to validate not giving raises. I got t the point that I took their own line for line itemized evaluation for my job and proved with specific examples how I well exceeded 90% and then at least met the other 10%. I received a "meets" requirements and 2% raise.

Morale is horrible and management cannot figure out why! Duh! They hold a group study and tell everyone right up front that they cannot talk about certain things like the review system. They know I is horrible and no one likes it or they would not have banned it from the discussions.

For the employees that just float around and do average work but really try, this is an awesome place to work. Stay under the radar, don't be known by name or you will step on somebody that you don't know and suddenly you will have no where to go no matter how you perform.

The only way out of this is to stick to strictly performance based evaluations. You should do this... You did this... Good or bad there is little subjectivity and that keeps out the politics and favoritism.

It is a shame. I was convinced that it was the last place I would ever work. I left and opened my own business and booming. Working on my third expansion office now. I still miss intel as a whole but don't miss the bloated and unresponsive system. It is kind of like an un curable flesh eating bacteria. It will just eat away all the flesh of the company until just bones are left. No matter how much perfume you spray on the rotten flesh, it will eventually decay away and infect good flesh.

Intel was good to me but the lower management and review system are killing the working population. All my friends that are still there tell me nothing has changed. Management is still confused as to why offering free fruit and free soft drinks did not fix the morale issue.

Good luck my friends. I used to think competitors never had a chance. Take care of you people and hey will take care of you. Intel is riding on market share and not paying attention to the bottom line. It is collapsing from the bottom up and can never withstand it no matter how much money they have. George Washington cannot make wafers.