Intel Corporation - Hierarchy and politics | Glassdoor

"Hierarchy and politics"

Current Employee - Finance in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Finance in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-make excellent products
-very smart people
-working level people are typically great to work with

Cons

-leaders have big egos and aren't good at listening to input from below
-senior leaders spend too much energy on politics
-culture has transformed in a negative way. it used to be flatter, less hierarchical, and people we allowed to voice a thought or opinion even if they weren't a senior leader. now, more and more often, you aren't allowed to voice a different opinion or disagree with a thought unless you are of equal rank to the person to whom you are talking. it has become a culture of those who are allowed to speak (the senior leaders), and those who aren't (everyone else).
--good ideas die because leaders don't want input
--issues and problems never get resolved because people are afraid to challenge the thoughts of the leadership, to tell them when they are making the wrong assumption, or to voice an alternate view
--if you are a "yes" man, this is the place for you

Advice to Management

Change the culture. Start at the top. Drop the ego, treat others with respect, and help us to win together, as a team of equals. YOU are a big part of the problem.

Other Employee Reviews for Intel Corporation

1. "Component Design Engineer"

Pros

Work life balance
    Flexible work environement

Cons

Slow Career Growth Office culture Promotions

"Steady work and Steady Pay Fabulous Benefits"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Intel Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is very competitive to what I was offered elsewhere and Hillsboro is low cost for high tech areas.
    Intel hires great people. I have been amazed at the level of talent and how well people work together. I have had a lot of jobs and there were always people that were the slack of the team.
    Flexible schedule. I leave all the time midday for appointment (doctors, kids, etc.) and work from home at times.
    Big company with thousands of jobs.

Cons

The on-call is tough. This is a FAB that never shutsdown and needs constant attention. The on call is good that right now I'm on a five week rotation so one week on 4 weeks off.
    You are not here to save the world and create the next big thing. You are in manufacturing and fix small problems that are part of the whole. Big world view type problems are handled much higher up.

Advice to Management

Communicate more regularly with incoming hires. I had no idea what I would be doing and who'd I'd be working for until day 5 at Intel. It left me in the dark and made me feel very uncomfortable with my new job.