InterSystems - Professional company that will be around for many years to come | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for InterSystems

"Professional company that will be around for many years to come"

Current Employee - Technical Trainer in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Technical Trainer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial culture where you can get noticed if you work hard; not a lot of obstacles to working: few meetings, permissions required, etc.
Extremely bright employees and a CEO who does not compromise his standards of excellence related to products, employees, and most of all customers
Beautiful offices
Sane work hours
Plenty of resources

Cons

Company has been around for over 30 years and some processes are resistant to change

Advice to Management

Robust career paths for some of the larger departments are needed to retain employees now that the company is of critical size.

Other Employee Reviews for InterSystems

"Collaborative work environment that respects employees thoughts and ideas"

Current Employee - Support Advisor in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I believe in order to fully appreciate InterSystems and what the company has to offer, you need to have some job market knowledge of the Boston area and the software industry. Coming from a company that had zero work-life balance or appreciation for the work of their employees, InterSystems has proven to me that you can enjoy what you're doing on a daily basis. The company provides a challenging work environment, but also ensures that all employees are thoroughly trained and given the tools needed in order to perform well in their position. The management is accessible, and they have done well with implementing a mentor structure for those employees who are more junior. You receive recognition for the hard work you put in, and there is a clear path for promotion and growth.

Cons

None that I can currently think of.

"Great people and environment, but a relatively "dry" product line & limited room for career advancement as sup. advisor"

Current Employee - Support Advisor in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

>> All of this is from the role of a Support Advisor <<

The people - There is a large swath of very talented people working here -- many hired from top notch schools like MIT -- who are more than willing to set time aside to help you gain a more solid understanding of the technology. Also the support department is fairly social -- I like working with my coworkers (for the most part)

Great deal of anonymity working here once you pass the "new hire" phase. As long as you get your work finished in a professional manner, you can really work however you want. Work from home is common for the more experienced, but dont think you can do that all the time as a new hire :D

Coming from a non computer science background, many of the skills and technology I learn here will definitely be helpful down the road. As a support advisor, you deal with databased administration work, application performance analysis, network technologies, Unix/Windows/VMS, deep code analysis, writing code, helping people fix their applications, high priority issues that impact people daily. The technical and non-technical skills I am learning are great. If you already know much of this stuff, Support Advisors and developers here will all need to go through this tedious process.

They pay 75% or so of any (in a some what related field/technology) of your courses should you pursue further education while working there. This can be any course as far as I know (many people take class at Tufts, for example.

Very well off financially. The company really knowns how to deal with their finances, and it is private so it has complete control over its capital. Compensation is nice, not too sure how it compares to other equivalent jobs. I know that compared to hot ticket tech/developer jobs here, there are many other opportunities that pay more.

Cons

>> All of this is from the role of a Support Advisor <<

The work, while frequently rewarding, is too variable in its intensity for me. Let me explain... Due to the nature of production-level (talking hospitals, banks, etc...) software support, you often have no idea when a really high priority, time sensitive, and technically challenging issue will come up in your work queue. Some people love this, however, it is not for me. I am happy to be challenged here (as I frequently am) but wish it were more constant so I could appropriately structure my day around it.

Limited moves for career advancement in the Support department. Your rank improves, but you dont really get a "promotion." Only a limited amount of people get big promotion, and they are usually have been working for 5-6 years at the company.

While the skills you learn working with our software are extremely helpful outside of InterSystems, the majority of your work will be focused on our technologies that are very specific to
    a) some hospital DB admin work
    b) proprietary InterSystems technology

This translates into lower transferrable skills down the road.

Advice to Management

Overall, your employees are happy and productive people. Your events are fun and I have no issue with how the company is handled.

I just feel that the nature of this area of software forces your product into a "well, ok, you make databases" vibe instead of "wow, this is forward thinking" in the way other software companies do (ie, google, microsoft, both of which are located within 5 minutes of the company headquarters). It would be great to see this mold broken!