InterSystems - Awesome internship, but it did little to add to my technical expertise useful outside of the company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for InterSystems

"Awesome internship, but it did little to add to my technical expertise useful outside of the company"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Cambridge, MA
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at InterSystems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

$20/hr. Worked on a project with guidance from employee mentors. Lots of autonomy. It's up to you to get your work done. Everyone was really smart and nice, current employees and other interns alike.

Cons

All the interns were given the opportunity to present our projects to the company as a whole, which was cool but also forced us to take significant time away from working on our cool projects, and instead on practicing how to give good presentations. We must've practiced it at least 6 times for our boss.
The technical skills learned during my time there seem like they'll only be useful if I go work for some company that uses InterSystems's Cache database, and I feel like if I worked for ISC full time I'd be pigeonholed into that company or one of their partners for the rest of my career, and I'd be the first one to be cut loose if any of these companies started doing poorly.

Other Employee Reviews for InterSystems

1. "I am very happy working in an environment where i can make significant and valuable impact."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very lateral org chart; dynamic product; highly intelligent work force; well paid

Cons

resistant to change in processes, procedures.

"Stable company but limited room for growth"

Current Employee - Developer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Developer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good job security. Company has a long history of success in healthcare.
    - Fulfillment from working to improve healthcare software. This is an especially important industry today.
    - For developers, there is a lot of flexibility in terms of when and where you work. Working from home occasionally isn't an issue. For support advisors there are usually set hours/shifts needed to be covered.
    - Decent vacation time and holidays off.
    - 401k matching
    - Good salary.
    - Nice building right on the river in Cambridge/Kenmore Square.
    - Global offices, possible travel opportunities depending on the project.

Cons

- Technology (based on MUMPS) is not widely used outside of healthcare, so you are very limited by your acquired skillset if you're looking for a new job in the future.
    - Depending on the product you are working on, the codebase can be difficult to work with. Emphasis is placed on just making things work rather than developing quality long term solutions.
    - Very corporate environment, not a lot of passion. Most people just view it as a job.
    - Drab cubicles/office environment.
    - Business casual dress code.

Advice to Management

- Give developers more control/autonomy.
    - Need better defined goals/vision.
    - Some teams are sorely understaffed. Focus more on recruiting young talent.