Intermountain Healthcare - Just a number to the company. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Intermountain Healthcare

"Just a number to the company."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Being able to move up from starting jobs to Jr.-Sr. positions.
Strive to have a healthy employee base. (No Smoking - Weight reduction...)
Great place to work and hide.

Cons

Just like working for government with less pay. Lower management run departments like fiefdoms. One of the four managers experiences were positive.

To much distance between Human Recourses and employee's. I got the feeling that HR was just there to support managers and protect the company.

I felt that my health was tied to my ability to work for this company.

One bad manager (3 years) can destroy a good working environment of (13 years).

Advice to Management

Favoritism to specific employees brings the department moral down. I have been on both ends of this spectrum (favored and out of favor). If we are going to be just a number then equal treatment for everyone. **Don't blow things out of proportion** if not then: treat us like individuals and reward punish according to performance.

Other Employee Reviews for Intermountain Healthcare

"A company that neglects its dark corners, permitting bad management to remain unaccountable."

Former Employee - Behavioral Health in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Behavioral Health in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay, good benefits. Coworkers were great but beaten down by midlevel management. Esprit de corps had everything to do with caring for patients, nothing to do with the performance of management.

Cons

This company is anything but a non-profit, and due to its bottom-line stance could care less about poor management in areas that are not top-grossing. This is especially true in its inpatient Behavioral Health Unit, which is located at LDS Hospital. The turnover rate under its current unit manager is 70 percent. The attitude seems to be: "let him practice at the expense of employees and patients until he gets it right. After all, it's a low grosser, and who is going to look in on mental health?" A good clinical staff provides good care despite this, but good people leave here in droves. Unless you are desperate for a job, stay away from seeking employment in that unit.

Advice to Management

To top management, and it is going to have to be management outside LDS Hospital: Stop looking the other way. Yes, your top behavioral health managers have failed. Do not permit them to keep covering up for their incompetence. It's costing you because of the turnover, and it's costing patients because good clinicians are leaving this unit in droves. If you want to rid yourself of costly incompetence and dead weight, start here.

"Mediocrity"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Job security, pension, work-life balance, 401K match, competitive healthcare options and premiums.

Cons

Poor growth opportunities. Too many managers promoted above their abilities. For a long while IHC promoted based on seniority and they never fire so there are a ton of horrible managers. Lately, Human Resources started to encourage hiring managers to hire externally so anybody of any value already in the company gets overlooked for external candidates. The culture and system facilitates mediocrity. My manager is one of those managers promoted above his abilities and has absolutely no social skills. He feels he has to make everybody else look bad to provide himself opportunities for good raises in the future. Most managers are "Yes Men" so there are rarely any new ideas.

Advice to Management

Make people, and particularly managers, accountable. Provide incentives to employees who show initiative. Clean the place of the "Yes Men" and incompetent managers. Promote the employees that work hard, bring results and show initiative.