International Paper - An ideal baby boomer culture | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for International Paper

"An ideal baby boomer culture"

Current Employee - Sourcing Operations in Memphis, TN
Current Employee - Sourcing Operations in Memphis, TN

I have been working at International Paper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IP is a fair & ethical company that offers a consistent and steady career advancement for those who are willing to stand out from the rest. IP has many global opportunities for those who are seasoned and offer global talent to the company. Decent benefits and opportunities to grow in both strengths and weaknesses.

Cons

Iconic atmosphere of secularism, bureaucracy and political correctness. This type of culture is typically created by such large companies in effort to avoid lawsuits and hurt feelings amongst employees of different backgrounds. However, in the end it only stiffles authenticity and candidness, causing many people to feel out of place or resent the entire system as a whole since it rewards uniformity rather than originality or creativeness.

Advice to Management

Encourage authenticity. Focus on real problems. Avoid caring about politics and bureaucratic practices - your employees can't stand that. Don't measure KPI's for the sake of reporting good numbers and try not to get caught up in measuring someone based on their KPI's. Encourage employees to get the job done, but refuse to put them in a box. Trust the employees to do the work well and let them try things their way. Otherwise, you might as well have just hired a bunch more of yourself, which isn't adding value to your organization at all.

Other Employee Reviews for International Paper

1. "Not the worst experience but could be a lot better"

Former Intern - Engineering in Selma, AL
    Former Intern - Engineering in Selma, AL

I worked at International Paper as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Had a chance to work over a month during the plant shutdown. Gained a lot of experience in project management. Also, made really good money with the overtime pay.

Cons

There was not a structured intern program. The company assigned me to a "mentor" who was a supervisor and did not have time to show me how to do things

Advice to Management

Organize a structured intern/co op program.

2. "Great Organizatino"

I have been working at International Paper full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are great and the management team is very accessible. My hours are very good and allow me to have a great family life outside of work.

Cons

There aren't a lot of cons. I would say one is the early hours. I was never a morning person but I've learned to be because most days I'm up by 5:45a.