International Relief and Development - IRD has great potential | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for International Relief and Development

"IRD has great potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Very flexible; great opportunities for advancement; respects field office input. Has a broad range of competencies, which means that many kinds of projects are fair game.

Cons

IRD is a young company and is experiencing growing pains. It is important that the company find people with deep experience and new ideas so that the growth pattern can be sustained.

Advice to Management

Need to shed some former employees who are no longer producing results. It is important that IRD build on its past rather than be captured and enslaved by it.

Other Employee Reviews for International Relief and Development

1. "Travel coordinator"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at International Relief and Development as a contractor

Pros

Good offer. Easy task, great people, and awesome atmosphere.

Cons

Competition is always a challenge, i was hire in Afghanistan and competition is very tight and close thou i got hired.

2. "Good projects, terrible senior management"

Former Employee - Program Manager
    Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at International Relief and Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is good.
    Projects I worked on were potentially very effective and sometimes really did have the advertised impact.
    When I was allowed to work on the programs in the field (i.e. my job) the work was immensely satisfying.

Cons

The organization has a very variable repuation on the ground with other NGO colleagues.
    International staff turnover was extremely high, and there seemed to be a tradition of secretive ousting of senior field staff
    Very variable recruitment standards - some unsuitable characters were let into senior field positions with predictable consequences.
    Some Senior Home Office staff that I met in the field were simply incompetent and took decisions which were extemely damaging - to the organization, to the staff, and to the beneficiaries.
    In-fighting and back-stabbing amongst senior staff seemed to be very common, more so than in other places I have worked, and in more extreme forms, with Senior Home Office staff leading the way.
    I had to spend inordinate amounts of time and effort in order to get finance to the field level to enable program implementation.

Advice to Management

Re-design the corporate culture from top to bottom. Take a serious look at "untouchable"senior staff and keep a better track of what is really happening at ground level.