Interstate Distributor - Welcome to our family, manage your people, but be sure to check with us first..... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Interstate Distributor

"Welcome to our family, manage your people, but be sure to check with us first....."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The people make Interstate the great company it is and it is the reason why I stay. The say "the grass isn't always greener on the other side" and with IDC this rings true. I have seen several people leave and return or at least attempt to return. We have several employees driver and staff alike here for more than ten years so we must be doing something right.

Transportation is a tough industry all the way around. If you stay in it for more than a year, you can make it. I have been with other companies and I will attest to the fact that these folks stand behind their people.

Personally, I couldn't ask for a better supervisor. He has high expectatons of his people but for their own development. He let's me manage my team where others do not do the same for theirs. It is his management style that is my primary reason for staying.

The relationships built between co-workers are strong. If you are adaptable and know your stuff this is the place for you. If you luck into a position because you interview well, your skill level will be quickly found out. Lucky for those persons I have never worked for a company more patient in developing its personnel.

Cons

Your position will probably pay more elsewhere. One of Interstate's strongest selling points is it's culture that they pride themseleves on. Therefore the mentality that you will stay for the overall package dips into your compensation package.

Proving yourself. You either have the skills or you don't. Once you have proven your skills you should get the ability to demonstrate your talents. You can be "too good" at your job and replacing yourself would cause some uncomfortable transitions that IDC can be unwilling or uncertain to take on.

Compensating personnel with titles for self importance because it makes us sound like a national leader. Let's face it an Operations Manager and a Director here have the same primary functions so why is there a separation?

Continuing to hear of the owner of the company frivously spending money retaining a company jet, pilot, and co-pilot on our payroll all the while laying off employees for the first time in the companies history and increasing the cost of benefits. Lets not forget the new Mercedes for the Sr. VP of Sales because God only knows as a customer I would be more impressed with your car than the numbers you can bring to the table.

Operational structure and corporate office control. Simple! Too many chiefs. Not enough Indians. Managers should be allowed to manage their operations. Not check and double check for anothers permission for the seemingly mundane day to day operations.

Information and measurable standards. IDC is privately held therefore disclosure of profit and loss statements are held tight. The standards set for operations are not uniform so how can you as a manager help move us as a company move forward without knowing what your areas of opportunity are?

Advice to Management

Empowerment - Hire the best people to work here and allow them to do their jobs. Give them measurable standards and work together on ways to improve.

Knowledge - Many of you are long term employees that started at the very bottom. The new face of Interstate is emerging. Develop your people. Share your experience. Involve your people. Forget the politics and bureaucracy and embrace change. Consider adopting a mentor program for employees that will lead us into tomorrow.

Change - Embrace it. We contstantly speak of "not doing the things a ceratin way because it has always been done this way". Let's do it, but you have to be open and more connected to the things that made the company what it is. The people, the drivers, and even yourselves. Stop being "yes" men and women and stop being afraid to have the unpopular opinion.

We are not the small 800 truck company we once were. We are attempting to evolve to the next level. If you carry forward with the same plan of action that we did when we were a small company we will fail. I came to work here for a job and I found a career. In finding that career, I found a family. I hope to be here for many years to come but that requires the efforts you make now to be successful so that I can become the "you" of tomorrow.

Ask yourself what did we do before that set us apart from other truck load carriers. Ask yourself how we incorporate the business philosophies of today with the root success of years gone by to continue to set ourselves apart.

I believe in this company, its future, and am glad to be a part of this family. Please make solid decisions today that will carry us into tomorrow.

Other Employee Reviews for Interstate Distributor

1. "Going to give Interstate a shot"

Current Employee - Regional Driver
    Current Employee - Regional Driver

I have been working at Interstate Distributor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I see a lot of good things being said. I love it when people actually complain about getting too much work, never getting good home time. We are truck drivers, it will never be perfect I guess in regards to home time, but I much rather have that problem than to be complaining about having too much work.

Cons

People tend to only comment when they are pissed I think.

Advice to Management

I decided to give Interstate a shot, it looks like they will keep me out of NYC which is a deal maker or breaker for me. I am very impressed that management actually take the time to address concerns here,

Interstate Distributor Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Marketing Manager

Thanks for your review! Sounds like you have a great attitude. (And yes - we'll keep you out of NYC.)

2. "Operations"

I have been working at Interstate Distributor full-time

Pros

able to learn from skilled workers

Cons

Awful hours and older view of how people should work, creating a stressful environment that doesn't always allow risk taking.