Interstate Hotels - Solid company to work for, but lacks recognition of employees. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Interstate Hotels

"Solid company to work for, but lacks recognition of employees."

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager
Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable, Solid Company
Decent Pay
Room for Advancement with Patience
Fantastic Benefits Package
Domestic Partner Benefits

Cons

Very Little Recognition of Employees
Poor Orientation and Training Program
Outdated IT Systems
Nonexistant IT Support
No Oversight of General Manager

Advice to Management

I went to work for Interstate over three years ago and have always been very optimistic about the company overall. As one of the largest management firms in the country, they are a very solid company and if you put your best foot forward, your job is generally extremely secure with IHR. There is room to advance, but you must be able to relocate and it takes time to land a promotion. Unfortunately, it only takes a single egg to ruin an entire carton. Our property's GM is extremely rude, pampas and extremely arrogant towards the staff and even occasionally towards guests. He lacks any real hotel management experience and this is very apparent to the team. Our employee satisfaction scores are absolutely terrible, due very much in part to his attitude towards the team and also his inability to take necessary action when necessary to confront personnel issues or discipline staff and supervisors. Nothing has ever been done whatsoever to look into these scores and the apparent underlying problems behind them. In order to make his budget goals and for sake of his bonus, we absolutely strangle our guest room supplies and maintenance supplies to the point of indifference towards the impact to the guests. Both management and staff are (literally) yelled at and scolded for placing orders for absolutely necessary items; light bulbs would be one great example. There is no leadership with our GM and anything that needs to be learned, I had to find myself by researching in iNet. Being as vast and generally good of a company as Interstate has prided itself on being, there needs to be significant oversight on the part of regional managers and GM's.

Other Employee Reviews for Interstate Hotels

1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company up above is competent and tentative and visits often to assure quality is controlled

Cons

micromanaging and sneaky managers .Abusive managers seem to never go away and there is lots of management turnover.

Advice to Management

try some real team building with the managers. Not just going out for drinks once a quarter and no politics.

2. "Great company to work"

Former Employee - Director of IT in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Director of IT in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Interstate Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

stable company, fund job, good management

Cons

too much travel, long working hours

Advice to Management

Keep great job!